Anyone have Google Fi service?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the addition of US Cellular network I'm thinking of switching to Fi. I'd be saving quite a bit of money and would have to buy a nexus 5x. US Cellular just wants to much, have to do a payment plan or buy a phone out right. US Cellular and Verizon are best around here. Any payment plan on phone requires credit check and am not interested in that. Could do straight talk on Verizon network 10g for $55 but would have to buy a new phone or used out right as well but I like how Fi handles data and the international availability.

Just seeing if anyone has Fi and your thoughts. Also I'm on wifi 75% of the time.

Total wireless from walmart should be verizon towers
35$/month unlimited with 5GB data.

Cricket is AT&T towers 35$/month unlimited with 2.5GB data.

Google fi is T-mob and Sprint towers.. how are they near you?

Originally Posted By: Rand
Total wireless from walmart should be verizon towers
35$/month unlimited with 5GB data.

Cricket is AT&T towers 35$/month unlimited with 2.5GB data.

Google fi is T-mob and Sprint towers.. how are they near you?

Google Fi is also US Cellular. Tmob, Sprint, ATT are good in the metro area but garbage anywhere else and thats where US Cellular excels. I'll take a look at total wireless.

I have Google Fi and really like it.
But, you're in Iowa.
T-Mobile's 700MHz band 12 is critical to getting good building penetration.
If UHF Channel 51 is operating in your area then T-Mobile has to either get permission
to operate concurrently, or buys out the station to get them to move.
If I read this map correctly Iowa, among other neighboring states, are
areas where a Channel 51 isn't going to move. (Or, T-Mobile isn't interested
in the market).
http://www.tmonews.com/700mhz-lte-map/

So, you're going to be stuck on higher frequencies, which work fine
for outdoor and shallow penetration, but doesn't work for large buildings
that AT&T and Verizon can get into.

Edit: If you can find a coverage map and post it for US Cellular I'd appreciate it.
My dad travels to Iowa from California and he'd be interested to know.

Last edited:
We have two Nexus 5X phones via Project Fi. We consider them and the way Fi works the best setup and phones we've ever had. Also my bill dropped from $45 per month to $25. We've had them several months and have yet to drop a call. WiFi is used about 90% of the time. The phones seek out WiFi and if they "like" the signal it is automatically turned into a Virtual Private Network.

With the recent Nougat update the phones are smoother, even more responsive, and with many new usable features. The 5X phones can be had very reasonably since newer ones are due out next month. We both have the 32GB model. DO check their coverage map for your area though. The camera is better than any of the flagship Samsungs we've had in the past especially in low light. My lady and I are 100% satisfied with our purchases and Fi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back