Windows update issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have win 7 pro, 64b and cannot get anything but a stalled attempt to get any windows updates. I have tried all the ideas which I found online w/o success. I have tried saving to disk, the installer updates but all I get is the same stalled process. I tried doing the installs offline but I still get the same stuck attempt.. Can anyone suggest something that has worked for them? Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Windows never finishes checking for updates, or it never finishes installing the ones it finds?

It continues and never stops "searching for updates".I have also tried fix it, fixed a few issues but still no improvement.

Last edited:
I encountered the same problem few times as well. The quickest fix for me was to go to the Microsoft Update Catalog website https://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Thanks.aspx?id=140
and download these, search within the MS website for the KB numbers:
1. If you don't have the SP1 installed - Windows 7 Service Pack 1 for x64-based Systems (KB976932). If you have SP1, skip to number 2.
2. Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3020369).
3. Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3125574).

This is an important step. Before you install any of these updates, you have to stop the Automatic Update Service. In the windows Start Search box type "Services", double click on it, scroll down to Windows Update, double click on that, in the General tab click "Stop" and click OK. You can now install the downloaded updates.

Another important step, these have to be installed in sequence. 1st is the SP1 update, 2nd is KB3020369 and 3rd KB3125574. If you already have SP1, then you do 2 and 3.

Your computer should be up to date and not needing any new updates.

Thank you. Your suggestions fixed the problem. I didn't shut off the windows update in services and everytime I tried to manually install a saved to disk update, it would stall also.

np
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I encountered the same problem few times as well. The quickest fix for me was to go to the Microsoft Update Catalog website https://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Thanks.aspx?id=140
and download these, search within the MS website for the KB numbers:
1. If you don't have the SP1 installed - Windows 7 Service Pack 1 for x64-based Systems (KB976932). If you have SP1, skip to number 2.
2. Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3020369).
3. Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3125574).

This is an important step. Before you install any of these updates, you have to stop the Automatic Update Service. In the windows Start Search box type "Services", double click on it, scroll down to Windows Update, double click on that, in the General tab click "Stop" and click OK. You can now install the downloaded updates.

Another important step, these have to be installed in sequence. 1st is the SP1 update, 2nd is KB3020369 and 3rd KB3125574. If you already have SP1, then you do 2 and 3.

Your computer should be up to date and not needing any new updates.

+1,000
DITTO!!!!!!!!!!
also check in taskmanager for WUSA.exe and endprocess-it/kill-it

I would consider yourself lucky if windows won't update. My parents have an older desktop pc at their house, and after doing the most recent windows 10 update, it knocked out their ethernet adapter and older usb wifi adapter, when they worked perfectly fine before. I tried everything, the only solution to get the internet back up was to use a newer usb wifi adapter that I had. Thankfully I buy those stupid things when I see them dirt cheap online, like almost free after mail in rebate. Still, a windows update shouldn't render hardware useless.

Without going into too much detail, I don't think the windows update was the problem. Somehow my access point I have near the garage was causing screwy issues, even when swapping out the main wireless router twice. DHCP issues I think, I don't know, I have to look at it more. Unplugging the access point fixed everything.

Updating windows over wireless?

Try it wired, and make sure you install all the rollups manually before you search for updates.

There is a KB in there that fixes the windows 7 updates taking forever included in the rollup.

Yeah, this was with wired, and wireless. I got the internet to work after trying a newer usb wifi stick that desktop pc. I was also having connectivity issues with my phone on wifi, it just didn't work. The wifi worked fine for everyone else in the house. There were more people, and more devices at my house recently, and I think that's when things went things went south. Not there were only 4-6 more devices online, i don't know why that caused a problem.

I have a wireless router in the living room, and then another wireless router that i'm using as an AP near the garage, which is hard wired to the 1st wireless router. I installed dd-wrt on the router near the garage a few weeks ago, and I think I just left it as is after installing it. I don't think I turned off dhcp, which I hear you're supposed to do on wireless router #2. So I think that may have been causing problems, we'll see after I look into it.

I'm having similar problems. On my Win7 machines, if you wait long enough the update list will come back and you can install (I have auto updates turned off). Now I'm trying my Win 8.1 tablet and it doesn't seem to want to ever finish checking for updates. Will those two KB update files work on an 8.1 tablet?

In general, I'm miffed at Microsoft for messing up the update capability. I never had any issues with Windows update before they tried to push us to Windows 10. I hate to say it but I think it's a ploy from boys from Redmond who are being pretty underhanded trying to push people to upgrade. And I think the result is going to be a lot of problems with unpatched systems out there where people get tired of waiting for "Check for Updates" to finish!

I tried unsuccessfully three times to update to the Windows 10 Anniversary Update on my Toshiba laptop. For the past year, that laptop would never charge the battery to above 60%.

I popped-in a new battery yesterday - charged the battery fully and tried the Anniversary Update once again.
Guess what?..... in two hours time, that Anniversary Update was finished. Another change I made might have also helped. Instead of trying the Update using Wifi, I grabbed the ethernet cord and plugged-in the laptop instead.

All is well finally! My new battery charges correctly now..... right to 100%. Thank you Amazon.

I just went through the same thing with Win7 x64. I did find an "updater" file on the Microsoft website and installed it and this morning it had installed 280 updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back