Trailer tire load range

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have one of those HF 4x8 utility trailers, with a 1,500lb GVWR. 10 years old and I noticed the tires need filling every few months--so it's due for tires. Etrailer has B and C load range tires for the same price (free shipping!). B is 785lb capacity at 60psi, C is 990lb at 90psi.

Home compressor should handle 90psi, but isn't that a bit on the high side?

I can't see this getting loaded up past 1,000lb. Getting kinda rusty, and it's never been what I'd call "sturdy". I'm thinking I'm better off with B's as a result. Easier to inflate if I ever need to get air while on the road, and perhaps the trailer won't bounce as much unloaded.

Thoughts?

I'd go with the C range tires. The tires seem to be the weak link on these trailers so it can't hurt to have a better tire. I have the same trailer.

I'd go C Range too
smile.gif

what size rim is that ? 12" ? Anyway to go 13" - then 35 psi carries all that and then some ...

Last edited:
I figure, go big or go home. Any other sizes that fit the trailer? Maybe there's some cheap rims on Craigslist that fit and give you even more options.

I doubt a bigger tire will work--well, it could be made to work, just remove fenders and relocate. More work than I want to do though.

Originally Posted By: supton
Thoughts?

https://amzn.com/B004QL6ONG

Notice it's a 77T tire; that's 908 pounds per tire (1816 total) at 118 MPH.

Here's a couple reviews from the Amazon page:
"I have had these for over 3 years now on my utility trailer. They tow very well and even with while hauling my 1100 pound tractor across Washington on the freeway, they barely get warm. easy to mount and they roll very well."
"These are perfect tires for a folding Harbor Freight trailer with 12" wheels. You are right - radial car tires roll and work so much better than the junky bias ply tires the come as original equipment."

The ubiquitous Hunter balancers can handle down to a 10 inch rim diameter. When you get them mounted, make sure they balance them as well.

Huh, I might have to try that, minimal price bump.

Balance a trailer tire? Wasn't planning to. Install and go.

I have a trailer that came with ST185/80D13 Load Range D. Replaced it with 185R14C which also was marginally easier to find, but infinitely better. The "C" at the end of the size is the European equivalent to LT.

Balance a trailer tire?

Absolutely. If you're critical/picky enough to ask about what tires to use (not just driving to your local shop and having them put on whatever is in stock like 99% of folks), then go the extra step and get them balanced; no sense in putting in the time to find a good tire, and then have it bouncing down the road (these little trailers are the worst offenders).

In other words -- do it right the first time.

Originally Posted By: weebl
I have a trailer that came with ST185/80D13 Load Range D. Replaced it with 185R14C which also was marginally easier to find, but infinitely better. The "C" at the end of the size is the European equivalent to LT.

No, it isn't...it is Load Range C.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: weebl

No, it isn't...it is Load Range C.

Wrong, Jarlaxle.

"Euro-metric Commercial Vehicle tires are identified with a C adjacent to their size designation's rim diameter, such as 235/65R16C. It is very important the C suffix NOT be mistaken as the more traditional Load Range C used in conjunction with LT-metric tires."

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=312

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Balance a trailer tire?

Absolutely. If you're critical/picky enough to ask about what tires to use (not just driving to your local shop and having them put on whatever is in stock like 99% of folks), then go the extra step and get them balanced; no sense in putting in the time to find a good tire, and then have it bouncing down the road (these little trailers are the worst offenders).

In other words -- do it right the first time.

Hmm, I'll think about it. Don't have a balancer, wasn't planning on paying for this job either. Previous searching on the subject indicated that balancing wasn't required for trailers. Something about spring rates.

Still think it's overkill. I think this trailer has about 1,000 miles on since I bought it 10 years ago. Not sure how much use it will get in the future, as it's showing its age.

For the same price get the C rated. Then you can load the trailer right up and not worry about the tires atleast.
If you are carrying sand or gravel or firewood, you don't really have any idea how heavy it is so with good tires you just look at the springs and decide when its had enough.
I've never balanced a trailer tire either and they always seem to run pretty true at 65mph unloaded, and very smoothly with a load.
Also I always travel with a bike pump in the car, a smaller diameter one will do 90 psi and top up a low car tire pretty quick.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam

"Euro-metric Commercial Vehicle tires are identified with a C adjacent to their size designation's rim diameter, such as 235/65R16C. It is very important the C suffix NOT be mistaken as the more traditional Load Range C used in conjunction with LT-metric tires."

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=312

Common misconception on these tires, as they are so rare in our market. Even rarer to see one with a "Load Range." Rated for somewhere well over 1,800 lbs on the 185R14C tires. Note there is no aspect ratio either, which means it defaults to an oddball ratio of 82.

Think of the European "C" as commercial vehicle tires, as on small vans.

You don't need to pump the higher load rated tire to its max. It only needs enough inflation pressure to carry the load.

If you hardly every use this trailer, don't bother with balancing. If you use it a lot, balance. The rubber, the bearings, the suspension bushings will all live longer. Don't let the tire shop mount it on the balance machine on cones through the center bore. Trailer wheels are made with the center bore stamped out somewhere near the true center of the wheel. The wheel needs to be mounted on a lug-center adapter for balancing. Or use balancing beads. Dynabeads do a good job in tall aspect ratio tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back