Apple Season!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the two that you mention, how much are they per pound? I like the sweeter apples. The green sour ones not too much.

Yep, fall is bout here. Time for homemade apple pie. The rejects/spoiled apples get the second life at the backyard baseball game we have. Love the red delicious but not a fan of granny smiths at all. Talking bout food makes me wish we still grew rhubarb or beets.

I love Honey Crisp and Fuji, but my little one finds them too sour. I picked up something called Molly (Mollie?) at the local farmer's market last week - he seems to like these a lot better.

Gonna have to do some apple picking with the family in the next few weeks...

Still in the 90s right now. Don't feel like apple picking yet. But when the golden delicious are ready in a few weeks...

How many times am I engaged to bring down Honey-Crisps and Sweet-Tangos?

You don't want to know.

Too many apple types. People fight over them like football teams. Macombs, Macs, Fujis...there's no end to it.

I like the crsip and sweet varieties. Crunchy are just too hard for my old teeth! I buy Gala and Golden Delicious. Never had a Honeycrisp, but I do want to try them.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Still in the 90s right now. Don't feel like apple picking yet. But when the golden delicious are ready in a few weeks...

They are here in Pa. now!

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I like the two that you mention, how much are they per pound? I like the sweeter apples. The green sour ones not too much.

$.80
http://www.mvfarmmarket.com/pages/pick-your-own

There's an orchard down the road from her place that sells many varieties. I normally go with Granny Smith applies for my work lunch, but I am looking forward to some honey crisps.

I am really looking forward to some unpasteurized cider and some Fireball whiskey. They don't make the cider on site, but it's made from their apples (they own 3 orchards?) somewhere in Ohio.

Originally Posted By: Kira
How many times am I engaged to bring down Honey-Crisps and Sweet-Tangos?

You don't want to know.

Too many apple types. People fight over them like football teams. Macombs, Macs, Fujis...there's no end to it.

I agree.
Everybody should know the Ambrosia Apple is the BEST.
There is so much goodness in (1) apple, it's like a whole meal in itself.

More info on the Ambrosia Apple.
As the Article states, it's the Food of the Gods.
http://www.ambrosiaapples.com/

The Ambrosia apple is no ordinary apple. Aptly named after the mythical “food of the gods”, this stunning apple, born from a chance seedling, is a delight for all the senses. When you first set eyes on the Ambrosia apple, you will be drawn to its glossy, bi-coloured good looks. It has an attractive conical shape and smooth, flawless skin with a bright, almost fluorescent pink blush over a creamy-yellow background. As you draw closer, you will become aware of its distinct perfumed aroma.

Then, as you bite into the Ambrosia apple’s tender, juicy flesh with its fine crisp texture, the apple’s honeyed flavour will saturate your taste buds, leaving you refreshed and satisfied. Little wonder that this sweet, low-acid apple consistently rates at the top in taste-tests and sensory panels, and is a hit with both children and adults alike. The new variety of apple was named Ambrosia, which in Greek mythology means food of the gods.

The Ambrosia apple was registered in 1993 and over the past 20 years, it has grown in popularity and is now available for purchase worldwide. Ambrosia is a low-acid apple, which makes it easier for kids and older people to digest, it is slow to brown and is great in salads, baking and main dishes.

Last edited:
We made 65 gallons of cider this week, not quite a pick up truck load of boxed apples. We harvest the free apples and a local farm presses them for 50 cents a gallon. This early batch was almost entirely Mackintosh. Excellent, but cider made mid season with a mix of more varieties has better flavor and more character.

We freeze the cider and give much of it away over the coming year. Autumn is awesome!

20 years ago I was shipping boxes of Jonathans to my rellies in north Florida. Approx $50-$60 in UPS charges every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back