ideal mileage interval to rotate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

What mileage interval is the most ideal to get the most miles out of a set of tires......5000, 6000, 7500? I own a 2015 Honda Civic EX sedan with 13,300 miles presently with Continental Pro Contacts. So far, I have done rotations at 5,250 and 6900 miles. I just decided to do the rotation along with my oil change that
I followed on the Honda Maintenance Minder.

Last edited:
When the tread depth difference is ~ 2/32 inch. This happens to be the recommended limits for most AWD vehicles and seems to work well for my FWD vehicles. Ed

Huh??? Did you guys ever bother to read my question??

I am asking, as a general rule, what is the ideal mileage (5000, 6000, 7500??) to rotate tires to get the most miles out of them???

Last edited:
I think what they are saying is that there is no one ideal mileage. It depends on the tires, the car, and even the driving pattern and local traffic conditions.

The ideal mileage for you can be empirically determined by when your tread depth differs past some point. Eddie suggests a 2/32" difference.

For a general rule, just do what the owners manual says.

Like others have said, there's probably too many variables to give you an accurate answer, but personally I think you can't go wrong with 5,000 miles. It's long enough that you'll see some wear.

Another thing that is debatable is the technique used to rotate the tires...do you just go front to back? Do you cross cross them? Do you bring the fronts to the rear and then criss cross the rears to the front? A Google search will answer that depending on the car you have. Then again I've found that if you are having alignment problems all bets are off. I own a car that despite having perfect alignment angles, still pulls and still wears the [censored] out of tires.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: EdwardC
I think what they are saying is that there is no one ideal mileage. It depends on the tires, the car, and even the driving pattern and local traffic conditions.

The ideal mileage for you can be empirically determined by when your tread depth differs past some point. Eddie suggests a 2/32" difference.

For a general rule, just do what the owners manual says.

This is the proper answer.

Ok, fortunately, the Conti Pro Contacts on my 2015 Civic, are ALL wearing perfectly even after 13,300 miles.

I wonder if I can squeak out 40,000 miles from this mediocre at BEST tires?? I am very tempted to now change them out to the Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus for im sure would be a HUGE improvement in ride comfort and road noise.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: flinter
Ok, fortunately, the Conti Pro Contacts on my 2015 Civic, are ALL wearing perfectly even after 13,300 miles.

I wonder if I can squeak out 40,000 miles from this mediocre at BEST tires?? I am very tempted to now change them out to the Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus for im sure would be a HUGE improvement in ride comfort and road noise.

You'll complain how scary those Pirellis are in the rain.

I don't rotate tires. They wear evenly just the way they are. No value added to rotate. Of course, you might see value.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
The general rule is between 5K and 8K - and it isn't very critical. Pick one that is convenient for you.

Pretty close.

OP, If you would take a look in your glovebox, you would see a Continental Tire warranty booklet.

In this free book it says 5,000-7,000 miles or as specified in your owners manual. Honda says to do it at every oil change.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv

A little OT, but YMMV. I am very happy with mine.

It depends 5000 city miles is a whole lot different wear than 10000 highway miles.

I do mine once a year so far about 8500miles.. since I run winter tires mid-december to end of march.

I rotate them when they go on in march and the winter tires come off.

With one rotation/year/set its alot easier to track having 2 sets of tires/wheels.

I also rotate the winter tires one time (when I put them on in december)

Lotl,

Yes, I have rotated at every oil change so far.

That's been my M.O. It works quite well for me. Easy to remember. Simplifies my maintenance schedule. And, the one time I have had to get warranty on my tires, it paid off. Discount could clearly see, both from even tire wear and from their rotation records, that the tires had been rotated regularly, as required for warranty.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv

I am pretty sure these will be the next tires on my Accord. They have excellent reviews in all categories, including wet traction. Did you have a bad experience with them?

OP, I suppose the more frequent the rotation the longer the tire life. So every 5K would probably get you the most life out of your tires. I am currently in the process of tire shopping and will most likely go to a 10K miles rotation schedule, less frequent trips to the shop = less potential damage from clumsy, nonchalant techs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back