Smoothest idle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the smoothest idling car or truck you have ever owned or used? And what engine did it have?

My mothers 2005 Buick with the 3.8 V6 for me even with many miles it's smooth as glass at idle.

Fusion Hybrid.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Olas
BMW V12 in an 850i was the smoothest idling thing I've driven, it was surreal.

I've got another vote. We tried the "coin test" when I owned my 750i. You could start, rev, and stop the engine with a coin standing on the engine cover.

And the gear reduction starter made an awesome noise as well.

Some daft Honda hybrid. I never knew if it was running or not and refused to accept one as a company car again during the time I was based in the US.

I couldn't tell you, all my Fords are about equally clickety-clanky on 5W-20 at idle. The Fiesta with the 1.6L is noisier than the others though.

The 2012 F-250 is currently on 5W-30 Pennzoil Platinum versus the normal 5W-20 & I swear it's much more quiet & smooth at idle, I can't be crazy.

Originally Posted By: Olas
BMW V12 in an 850i was the smoothest idling thing I've driven, it was surreal.

Actually that's a good point I have a friend with a BMW 850i with many miles on it and it is extremely smooth.

68 scout with a 345 international I stuffed into it. We used to balance a nickel on the air filter and wait for it to fall over. Thing still had points ignition and a Holley carb

Straight 6 in GMC Envoy. So quiet, and smooth in fact that GM factory installed starter cut outs so the driver could not engage the starter if running. Only good thing I remember about the vehicle BTW.

Think "smooth" might be less subjective than noise. A Viper came slowly through the parking lot crosswalk yesterday - did not mind that engine noise at idle
wink.gif
- but seeing the well vented hood made me think of what role the hood, liner, firewall, overall insulation play in so called "engine noise" - when I rent a cheap car - they are noise prone.
(and before you jump in with "my hood was open" - not all that posted here have stated that).

I was in a brand new Kia Cadenza at the dealer with the 3.3L V6 that was anything but smooth at idle. It had a little shake to it idling in park even after warm up. It was a 2015 and this was a few months ago. Seemed like a very nice car with a full glass roof but not a smooth idler. I expected otherwise so a bit of a surprise with this one.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Rule of thumb, more cylinders means smoother idle. Some 4 cylinder engines can idle smoothly but it requires all sorts of engineering trickery.

Old subaru EJ16 is one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back