Tire recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bigjl
Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
If only you were shopping last week! Because you just missed the labor day sales.

That said, there are some good affordable choices for you:
Cooper Discoverer M+S
Falken Wildpeak HT
Falken Wildpeak AT3W
Hankook Dynapro HT RH12
General Grabber HTS (or the newer HTS60)
Cooper Discoverer HTP

The Yokohama Geolandar HT G056 has a 70k warranty, the longest for a tire in your size.

Looks like the latest list of tyres that won't stop you well in the wet!

Top of the range Michellin tyres have a good reputation for low wear figures and good stopping distance figures, although Goodyear vector all seasons are a tough act to beat if you want minimum stopping figures.
Better still switch to using winter and summer tyres IF you live in an area that gets cold in winter. Then it's a case of using top of the range Conti's or Dunlops.

You do realise that many tyres from so called "inferior" manufacturers outperform Continentals and Dunlops.

When ever I have had Continentals they have worn prematurely and the replacements have been better. Specifically on our old Clio Dci. It could knock out a set of Conti Contacts in less than 12k miles, on the inside and outside edge.

Hankooks lasted well without the uneven wear, Dunlops also wore quickly on the inside and outside edges. The best tyre as far as wear and performance goes were the Kumho KinergyEco tyres.

And the car had regular alignments, though the mk3 Clio Dci is known for heavy front tyre wear.

Tire that can last long time is not a tire, it is a pice of plastic.
On my cars I had Continental Conti Sport 3, TS790, 810, 830 and 850. None of them exerted premature wear on cars OPEL Vectra B 2.0 16V, Lancia Lybra 2.4 jtd, Skoda Octavia A5 1.9tdi and LCI Octavia A5 1.9TDI.
However, the worst winter tire I have ever owned was Hankook W300, and generally worst tire I have ever owned was Kumho Ecsta Platinum LX.

Originally Posted By: The_Captain
I have been looking at the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza. Any thoughts?

Not seeing them made in your size as stated in your original post...???...

Originally Posted By: stevejones

Not seeing them made in your size as stated in your original post...???...

Alenza plus comes in the size I need.

Have bit different Dualer, Dualer H/L 400 RFT that comes on BMW's. It is mediocre tire. Go with Michelin. I will.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: bigjl
Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
If only you were shopping last week! Because you just missed the labor day sales.

That said, there are some good affordable choices for you:
Cooper Discoverer M+S
Falken Wildpeak HT
Falken Wildpeak AT3W
Hankook Dynapro HT RH12
General Grabber HTS (or the newer HTS60)
Cooper Discoverer HTP

The Yokohama Geolandar HT G056 has a 70k warranty, the longest for a tire in your size.

Looks like the latest list of tyres that won't stop you well in the wet!

Top of the range Michellin tyres have a good reputation for low wear figures and good stopping distance figures, although Goodyear vector all seasons are a tough act to beat if you want minimum stopping figures.
Better still switch to using winter and summer tyres IF you live in an area that gets cold in winter. Then it's a case of using top of the range Conti's or Dunlops.

You do realise that many tyres from so called "inferior" manufacturers outperform Continentals and Dunlops.

When ever I have had Continentals they have worn prematurely and the replacements have been better. Specifically on our old Clio Dci. It could knock out a set of Conti Contacts in less than 12k miles, on the inside and outside edge.

Hankooks lasted well without the uneven wear, Dunlops also wore quickly on the inside and outside edges. The best tyre as far as wear and performance goes were the Kumho KinergyEco tyres.

And the car had regular alignments, though the mk3 Clio Dci is known for heavy front tyre wear.

Tire that can last long time is not a tire, it is a pice of plastic.
On my cars I had Continental Conti Sport 3, TS790, 810, 830 and 850. None of them exerted premature wear on cars OPEL Vectra B 2.0 16V, Lancia Lybra 2.4 jtd, Skoda Octavia A5 1.9tdi and LCI Octavia A5 1.9TDI.
However, the worst winter tire I have ever owned was Hankook W300, and generally worst tire I have ever owned was Kumho Ecsta Platinum LX.

Interesting theory.

So because i found Conti Contacts to wear heavily and unevenly that makes them better than the Kumho and Hankooks?

Personally I was disappointed that both the Conti Contacts and Dunlop BluResponse wore in the same way on the front of the Clio. Under 1mm on inside and outside edge with over 3mm in the centre of the tread.

The Kumhos lasted better and where equally as good as the Contis, especially when value for money and ROI is considered.

The Dunlops were very good, much better than the Contis and Kumhos. But they didn't last long enough on the front of the Clio to justify the cost. They may last better on a car less known for heavy front tyre wear than the Mk3 Clio Dci.

I had no problems with Hankooks on my Jaguar XJL or those fitted OE on the 2014 Picanto.

If you want a cheap, good performing Winter tyre then consider the Nexen Winguard Snow G WH2. Much better than the previous Winguard tyre according to reviews.

Have bit different Dualer, Dualer H/L 400 RFT that comes on BMW's. It is mediocre tire. Go with Michelin. I will.

I bought the Alenzas for my RAV4 a while back and the H/L 400 came as OEM on my FXT...these tires are not even remotely similar.

The Alenza was a very decent all season, I bought it basically for non-winter use but it was serviceable during unexpected fall/spring snow and ice. My main complaint about it was that it wore more quickly than I expected, lasted only a little longer than a summer tire on that car. Definitely a pretty fun tire for sporty driving, though.
The H/L 400s are the worst tires I have ever had on a vehicle...frighteningly bad in snow and quite meh for sporty driving. Luckily, they wore out in no time and all and I replaced them with Goodyear Sport AS tires that I am very pleased with.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

I bought the Alenzas for my RAV4 a while back and the H/L 400 came as OEM on my FXT...these tires are not even remotely similar.

The Alenza was a very decent all season, I bought it basically for non-winter use but it was serviceable during unexpected fall/spring snow and ice. My main complaint about it was that it wore more quickly than I expected, lasted only a little longer than a summer tire on that car. Definitely a pretty fun tire for sporty driving, though.
The H/L 400s are the worst tires I have ever had on a vehicle...frighteningly bad in snow and quite meh for sporty driving. Luckily, they wore out in no time and all and I replaced them with Goodyear Sport AS tires that I am very pleased with.

Yeah, 400 H/L are simply bad in every aspect. I do not use them in winter since I always drive on snow tires. As for longevity, tire that can last forever is not tire, it is piece of plastic.
Good Year? I am staying away from them since 2009. After three repeated issues with balancing on three different sets, I just had it enough.

The Michelin Defenders have been getting mixed reviews-

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3744322/Re:_Bad_Michelin_Defenders_?

There are other places on the Internet that have many complaints about these tires are tread life.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back