MC 0w20 syn-blend, 9500 miles, 05 Toyota Matrix

Status
Not open for further replies.
I added about an eighth of a quart of QS atf at about 7000 miles into the oci to use up what remained in the container. NOT a quart of atf. Originally, I estimated about .25 of a quart which is why it says that in the makeup oil added section. The intake manifold gasket may need to be replaced since it runs rough when first started in very cold weather which is a common issue on these. OEM air filter has been in 40k miles. MC 836 oil filter was used.

iA3C3tO.png
[/img]

Thank you, I have Maxlife 0w20 full syn in there now. The Ford dealer did the last oil change and they said they put in 0w20 instead of the usual 5w20 syn-blend. Is there any way to tell what they really put in from the report?

Surprised how low the moly additive is. I'll probably go 7000 on this fill of ML full syn.

Hmmm, that's true, thank you. I think they actually had to use quarts since he was checking with the parts guy at the time. It kind of took awhile as he went over and checked. If I use MC oil again prob lower the oci to 7500 and use a Fram TG or Ultra. With the full syn deals going they are hard to resist. AZ sale in December.

Does MC even make a 0w20 semi synthetic oil?

You added ATF to an 0w20?.....you are brave.

I always thought Motorcraft synthetic blend had a pretty robust additive package? I was surprised to see it so weak...I'll have to check Motorcraft off my list of oils to buy.

Originally Posted By: doublebase
I always thought Motorcraft synthetic blend had a pretty robust additive package? I was surprised to see it so weak...I'll have to check Motorcraft off my list of oils to buy.

Don't conflate this particular oil with the entire lineup; it's formulated specifically, and only recommended for, the 2.0L Atkinson-cycle cars (Fusion Hybrid, MKZ Hybrid, C-Max).

Maximizing efficiency in a new engine design, and minimizing wear (BiTOG standards here...) in a 10+ year old, timing-chain equipped 1ZZ-FE are different formulation considerations.

Originally Posted By: HKPolice
Weak oil add pack IMO. Low zinc, boron & moly which contributes to higher wear rate. I would lower your next OCI on this oil.

I agree, a good oil will have both Moly AND Boron, unless it has a group 4 German Synthoil base stock, then it just needs Boron (At least 50 ppm of Boron and 100 ppm of Moly). The MC oil in question does not contain enough detergents either (Less than 2000 ppm is only good for a short OCI in my opinion).

Not sure if the high Iron figure is from adding the ATF (One daft idea as it might contain additives that degrade the oil seals AND it often thins the oil) or the fuel contamination. Might be a bit of both, plus the long OCI.

If you do long extended OCI's and are concerned about potential deposits, don't use ATF or brake fluid, use a major brand (Castrol, Liqui Moly and Amsoil all make flush additives) idle use only flush additive just before an oil & filter job. Any flush can increase oil leaks for a while due to the false oil seal effect (Might need a change to an HM oil or stop leal additive in a bad case).

Last edited:
Besides flashpoint the oil remained within spec. Not sure how everyone assumes its a weak add pack and will somehow cause wear. Personally I think it didnt do too bad for a blend. I think you should maybe just use this oil for 6-7k though. Although it seems up to 8500 would be fine.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: doublebase

Don't conflate this particular oil with the entire lineup; it's formulated specifically, and only recommended for, the 2.0L Atkinson-cycle cars (Fusion Hybrid, MKZ Hybrid, C-Max).

Maximizing efficiency in a new engine design, and minimizing wear (BiTOG standards here...) in a 10+ year old, timing-chain equipped 1ZZ-FE are different formulation considerations.

So let's say we are talking about their 5w20 synthetic blend that I usually find in stores...would that be better?

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Besides flashpoint the oil remained within spec. Not sure how everyone assumes its a weak add pack and will somehow cause wear. Personally I think it didnt do too bad for a blend. I think you should maybe just use this oil for 6-7k though. Although it seems up to 8500 would be fine.

I'm not an oil engineer but everything I've read on this site over the past few years places an emphasis on certain additives for engine protection...boron, moly, sodium. And it appears this oil is very low in those ingredients compared to just about every other oil I've ever seen. With a lot of the leading oils the moly count is somewhere around 80, this oil is in the teens. And the boron is low too. Other oils that don't use moly or boron will instead use sodium (Valvoline and others), this oil is low in that department as well, so I think that's why everyone thinks it's low in additives - because it appears as if it has very little of them.

So unless everything that has ever been written about additives, engine wear/protection, is untrue, this oil looks like it is severely lacking.

The previous fill was MC 5w20 syn-blend. Here's a VOA of the MC 5w20:

Originally Posted By: Cup of Joe
This is the new GF-5/SN labeled 5 quart jug purchased at walmart.

Code:

ALUMINUM 1

CHROMIUM 0

IRON 1

COPPER 1

LEAD 0

TIN 0

MOLYBDENUM 79

NICKEL 0

MANGANESE 0

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 1

POTASSIUM 5

BORON 234

SILICON 5

SODIUM 1

CALCIUM 2135

MAGNESIUM 10

PHOSPHORUS 740

ZINC 858

BARIUM 0

TBN TOTAL BASE 7.32

VIS 100C CS 8.5

OX 7

NIT 9

Tested by Polaris labs.

Could be since the OP was from 3/2011. The last post on the thread was from 4/2016 which bumped it to the top of the list in the VOA section.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthr...VOA#Post2195626

Here's TGMO 0w20 that is low in many of the additives. I topped off with almost a quart of Mobil HM 5w20 but the original fill was TGMO.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
2PgpaLl.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back