Installl issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a terrible experience getting tires from Walmart and then install.

It took Walmart 30 mins to find my order that was shipped free. Install was a no go as they don't service tmps which I belive was leaking. Also during storm they did not want car up on lift and loose power. Whatever I have them load and leave.

Next stop was local chain called VIP auto. Pricier install $90 but alignment done also. Pickup car running as battery died (likely ignition left on). Have to reset nav and radio codes so really dead.

Drive away seems fine on highway but I heard distinct clink. I though wheel weight thrown but they all seemed present.

Latter wife drives and hears clunk and at destination 3 of 5 lugs missing. She manages to put the locking lugs in trunk on however hears another clunk and pulls into another VIP. Person checks all loosened so on lift.

Waste of time! My first experience with chain and last. I'll go back to the tire place that near my work that was honest and competent independent. Nice guy who even put up with my tirerack.com tires I used sometimes.

All that was hardly worth the $200 savings from Walmart.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Install was a no go as they don't service tmps which I belive was leaking. Also during storm they did not want car up on lift and loose power. Whatever I have them load and leave.
What do these sentences mean?

Originally Posted By: Carbon
Originally Posted By: madRiver
Install was a no go as they don't service tmps which I belive was leaking. Also during storm they did not want car up on lift and loose power. Whatever I have them load and leave.
What do these sentences mean?

They don't service the Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS) valve stems. If up on the lift, they don't want to strand the client in case they lose power and can't get him down.

Didn't we talk about this in an earlier thread? Since there are so many Walmart locations-and your experience will vary widely (some have stated they have received excellent service on tire installs) that one has to do one's homework at what ever particular location they will be using?

I am sure we had a thread like that........

I used to work at VIP! If you went to my store you might have gotten the chick who guns everything to ~250 ft lbs then follows-up with the torque wrench and is happy it clicks, without a hint of movement.

Small cars she gives 80 ft lbs,
Big ones get 100.
Trucks 125. Regardless of what the laminated chart hanging right there says to do.

The torque wrenches are color coded so an illiterate monkey could pull it off.

Also odd WM won't touch TPMS which has been required by law since 2007.

TORQUE STICKS - a 'great way' to die when the wheel studs snap under excessive torque!

I tried this test on my torque sticks, found they are way over and got rid of them.

Typically torque sticks on an air gun will be 100 to 200 % over the stated value!

Check out this PDF:

BAD NEWS: TORQUE STICKS n’ IMPACT GUNS

https://app.box.com/s/g8s47dm0woyz65ybundz

I price my tires at Walmart. Then take them to a local tire shop/installer who beats them on price. My local WM doesn't even offer an alignment service.

Originally Posted By: i_hate_autofraud
TORQUE STICKS - a 'great way' to die when the wheel studs snap under excessive torque!

I tried this test on my torque sticks, found they are way over and got rid of them.

Typically torque sticks on an air gun will be 100 to 200 % over the stated value!

Check out this PDF:

BAD NEWS: TORQUE STICKS n’ IMPACT GUNS

https://app.box.com/s/g8s47dm0woyz65ybundz

Torque sticks work fine when used properly and checked with an torque wrench.

you can also break stuff with a 1100lb-ft impact wrench does that make them all bad?

The bad thing about torque sticks are they aren't idiotproof.

Originally Posted By: Kira
As I'm fond of saying; you might get great service or you might get a belligerent , angry meth head.

Same with DIY. Just depends on the mood I'm in.

The end result of this all is spent $12 on replacement lugs from Honda and VIP auto refunded me $100 to credit card with apology and explanation car was released by them prematurely and acknowledged poor communication on their end.

I moved on but learned to trust my instincts on chains.

Wow missed this one, but what a cluster flock. Not here to jump on WM, like many chain stores sure there are good and not so good. Hard to comprehend them not servicing tpms these days. But perhaps too complex for employees or liability issues?

3 of 5 lugs missing, wow again. Gives a whole new meaning to VIP. To their credit though for $100 refund and apology. Still though, whew. Result could have been much worse.

It makes me thankful for Discount Tire stores, the only place I buy tires and have them installed and serviced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back