SSL/HTTPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Software still a bit wonky. My browser keeps asking if I want to save my user/pwd for "this site" as though it doesn't recognize it the next time around.

Overkill,

Where have you been? :)

We made the move yesterday and had a few issues, but I believe the troubles are behind now.

We switched to SSL to offer a much more secure way to browse BITOG and because Google is going to start seriously penalizing the pagerank of websites that aren't served as SSL/TLS.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Why is using https wonderful? Truly curious.

Because of what Wayne mentioned
smile.gif
Prevents man-in-the-middle snooping via end-to-end encryption. Definite improvement in safety.

Sorry, fairly technically savvy but not with this stuff.

I get the Google placement.

But what would I care even if someone snooped on my typing/submissions here? I mean, Otis a public web forum. All posts are visible to the public when submitted.

Are people fearful of their PMs?

The last 14 years of BITOG is very googleable, and apparent to the world.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Sorry, fairly technically savvy but not with this stuff.

I get the Google placement.

But what would I care even if someone snooped on my typing/submissions here? I mean, Otis a public web forum. All posts are visible to the public when submitted.

Are people fearful of their PMs?

The last 14 years of BITOG is very googleable, and apparent to the world.

I'd be more concerned about somebody snooping your login/password as it is transmitted.

Is that why I can no longer see any embedded videos or images?

The only way I can see them is if I use Explorer and tell it to show all content that's not "secure" every time a page loads. I can't get Firefox or Google Chrome to show the embedded stuff.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

The only way I can see them is if I use Explorer and tell it to show all content that's not "secure" every time a page loads. I can't get Firefox or Google Chrome to show the embedded stuff.

Yeah, it appears the method to embed those is not encrypted so most of the browsers block them.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Yeah, it appears the method to embed those is not encrypted so most of the browsers block them.

I haven't dug into my browser settings, but do you know if there is a setting that can be changed to allow the embedded stuff to show up? If not, then I guess I'm stuck using Explorer to view this site.

I haven't dug into my browser settings, but do you know if there is a setting that can be changed to allow the embedded stuff to show up? If not, then I guess I'm stuck using Explorer to view this site.

I wouldn't do that. I'd wait until it is fixed on the site.

I wouldn't do that. I'd wait until it is fixed on the site.

Yep, I found that I can allow it to load unsecured data one occurrence at a time, so guess I'll use that as the work around until the site gets things sorted out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back