slide glide?

Status
Not open for further replies.
anybody use this stuff? it's a grease for guns.

it's marketed by Brian Enos and comes in three grades - light, standard and heavy.

the guy makes some pretty impressive claims, and I wonder if any of you have any real world experience with it.

thanks.

I've got a small tub of the light grade, and I like it. I use it on my Garand mainly. I went with the lighter stuff to avoid potential problems shooting in cold weather here in AK.

I can definitely say it stays where it's applied. Most grease is like that though, but Slide Glide seems to do better than other greases in this regard. I also very much agree with the claim that a little goes a long way--I apply it very sparingly with a Q-tip.

About the only thing I can knock it for is that it's not the best smelling stuff in the world. I can certainly live with that though.

This is just my $.02, so take it for what it's worth. I'm just a recreational shooter, and I don't put nearly as many rounds downrange as others here.

We had a discussion about firearms grease a few years ago and someone found out that slide glide is just a lithium complex or lithium based wheel bearing grease. It works about as well as most other wheel bearing grease but costs a lot more....

Originally Posted By: Excel
get a tube of Superlube,synth grease and be done with it.

I agree. Or else the lube of your choice. The problem I have with all of these tiny little tubes of "gun grease", is they're a total rip off from a cost standpoint. You can go into most ANY well stocked chain auto parts store and choose from literally dozens of high quality greases and lubes they have available. In both tubs and tubes for around $6.00. It's enough to last even the most enthusiastic shooter for years, if not a decade or more. None of these lubes have any "secret ingredients" that make them "gun lubes". I have yet to hear ANYONE actually define what makes a lubricant a so called, "gun lube"? You can choose from Moly or Lithium based greases. Or most anything in between. They have shelves full of them.

Some of these tiny tubes they sell you can cost well over $20.00 an ounce!, if you break it down. That's purely insane. Even the best automotive greases don't cost that for a tube or a 1 pound tub. I'm not trying to deny these guys a profit margin. After all this is America, the home of capitalism. But I'm sure not going to pay it. There is big money in the gun lube business. The markup is ridiculous. A gun is not that difficult of a piece of machinery to keep lubricated. And it sure doesn't require some tiny tube of insanely over priced grease or oil to do it.

If you feel more comfortable with an actual "gun lube" type of product. You can buy a small tub of Weapon Shield Lithium Grease for a few dollars. While more expensive than the automotive products, it's not such a complete rip off. If you want a hypo type applicator, you can get one from most any pharmacy for under a dollar, and fill it with your finger. They're handy to keep in your range bag. Remember that whatever lube you choose, "Gun Lube" or otherwise, it's ALWAYS cheaper if you buy it in a larger quantity.

I've got a few tubes of "gun grease" and found that my semi-auto pistols work well with TW-25B sparingly applied to the frame rails.

For the M-1, however, I just bought a 1lb tub of Mobil 1 - which seems to work well...and the red color makes it easy to apply a thin film...

Now, for my Swiss K-31, I actually found "waffenfett"...at least, the modern iteration, directly on the Lubrimoly.de website and had a few tubes shipped. It's a bit thinner than the M1, closer to the TW-25B, but far cheaper than the TW-25B...

I suspect that they're all pretty good and that the only real issues are: 1. improper application (too much, usually) and 2. improper thickness (which could slow down a slide/action).

It was developed..or at least sold..as a very stringy grease to slow down the slide of automatic pistols, so as to reduce felt recoil. This could theoretically work, but is ill advised on anything other than a racegun on a range, under ideal conditions.

Slowing the slide reduces the reliability of the weapon, so grease is not the best choice for defensive firearms.

I prefer SuperLube synthetic grease. I bought the 1lb tub on Amazon and load it into plastic syringes. It works great for all of my guns, especially the ARs. It has no smell and is clear, so you can easily tell when it is time to wipe it off and reapply it.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
It was developed..or at least sold..as a very stringy grease to slow down the slide of automatic pistols, so as to reduce felt recoil. This could theoretically work, but is ill advised on anything other than a racegun on a range, under ideal conditions.

Slowing the slide reduces the reliability of the weapon, so grease is not the best choice for defensive firearms.

I take STRONG exception to the bolded text. As in STRONG. Obviously there are a lot of different greases and firearms, but the right grease, on the right firearm, in the right conditions, can be ideal over oil based lubes.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

I take STRONG exception to the bolded text. As in STRONG. Obviously there are a lot of different greases and firearms, but the right grease, on the right firearm, in the right conditions, can be ideal over oil based lubes.

I agree. I especially like it for my carry guns. Oil runs out pretty fast, even really heavy ones like 20W-50. It sticks around longer during competition, too, when the guns get REALLY hot.

I just follow the Smith, Ruger, and Glock manuals. All recommend oil and not very much of it. That's what I do. The soap in the grease carries the oil. So whether you use grease or oil..the oil does the lube..so why bother with the soap part. Having said that it probably doesn't matter much.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Al
So whether you use grease or oil..the oil does the lube..so why bother with the soap part.

Because it's what keeps the lubricant contained. If you use grease on a slide, it will last because it won't be thrown off by the rapid movement of the slide. If you want to observe this first hand, oil your slide and shoot 200 rounds while wearing a white shirt. Do the same with grease.

Originally Posted By: Al
I just follow the Smith, Ruger, and Glock manuals. All recommend oil and not very much of it. That's what I do. The soap in the grease carries the oil. So whether you use grease or oil..the oil does the lube..so why bother with the soap part. Having said that it probably doesn't matter much.

+1

Soaps are a solid and they aren't doing any lubricating. They are simply a form of tackifier for the oil. This is also more debris inside a weapon than there needs to be.

There are other things like PTFE that are better for lubrication, but they tend to be expensive.

I've put several hundred rounds through pistols with Weapon Shield and there was still plenty of lubrication. Things like motor oil aren't designed to cling to metal parts in an open system, so they don't. They also don't have EP adds.

Things like motor oil aren't designed to cling to metal parts in an open system, so they don't. They also don't have EP adds.

So chainsaw bar oil sounds as almost perfect choice
smile.gif

Edit: or semifluid nlgi 00-000 grease...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back