Car Ramps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody using a pair that you think are great?
I need to get a car higher up in the air because I need to remove a plastic
cover that secures-covers the oil pan and filter on a new C Max hybrid.

I thought of doing my own using 2 by 12's but would rather get a good "safe" set.

Thanks!

I have been using the same pair of Rhino Ramps for the past decade or so. Something to think about in advance is how you are going to store the ramps. I hang mine on the wall so having some place to hook the ramp is required.

I have 2 pairs of Rhino 12,000 lb. ramps and think they're great. I'm toying with the idea of getting some 2x12's to put them on and making a stop for the ramps to give me some extra height if I need it. It's not necessary but would make things easier.

Not sure how you could go wrong with 2x12's. Heavier, and more work; but cheaper. Only thing I can think of is splitting, but that seems minimal, and could be mitigated by sandwiching in plywood if truly worried. I guess if weight is a problem you could get out a hole saw and perforate the boards to cut down on weight.

2x12's could be used on a dirt or gravel driveway too. Not sure what the Rhino Ramps look like underneath. Also, you could make the 2x12 custom to your car, in case it's got little clearance.

Thanks guys- they are rather inexpensive as well.
The undercarriage cover sits up higher underneath then the front fascia. Of course!
I use an oil extractor from up top and I got good with it so I no longer
drain oil from below unless there is an oil cooler etc.

I use a socket wrench and one of the adj. oil filter wrenches that pushed onto the cap.
So do you think if I cut a small hole the filter OD. size into the plastic shield and I could even leave it as a flap and secure it with fasteners or Velcro or leave just a precision hole would
that cause any turbulence or issues?
So I would just ramp the car, slide under and put the cap wrench on the filter without removing the cover.
And remove the pan oil from above. That would save a bunch of work.

I've heard of cutting holes into shrouds / belly pans / "skid plates" for oil filter access. I'm leery of it. If I were buying a new but "pristine" vehicle I'd look askew at that. On the well-used market it'd just be typical owner mod, but if I were buying "nearly new" I wouldn't care for it. Just my opinion. I'd do that for a long term owner, but otherwise no modify if I was going to flip in short order.

A hole cut for access should have minimal impact on airflow. It may allow water to splash up, and rot metal in our salty environment; but even that is reduced by having most of the bellypan present. So I wouldn't feel constrained to cover the hole back over.

I bought Scepter ramps on Amazon because I saw stories here and there about Rhino ramps collapsing at well under their max loads. The Scepters don't stack so they are a PITA to store, but they seem sturdy after two years of use.

I use nothing but 2"x10" ramps "glued & screwed" construction. You can make them more progressive to fit under the lower cars - make the bottom board a bit longer so the tire "pins" the ramp and it will not slide like some of the store bought do.
Oh, and for my 4WD's - I built a set of four. Nice clearance under 4 ramps - and level too.
They are a bit heavy - screwed some handles on to the end. Not bad.

PS: I doubt that cover is any bigger than what my Fusion has - I do it on the wood ramps ...

Originally Posted By: double vanos
www.ezcarlift.com
I've got one and I love it. Pricey, but if you mess with a lot of low slung cars, worth it.

This would be a dream.

For OP, Rhino ramps work very well. I think mine were the "stronger" ones and only around $30. if you have a low front overhang, you may need a 2x4 in front of the ramp to step it up. But for the price and quality of the ramps, I would get them.

Not sure how long you should use composite ramps - Google says several have collapsed...

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
I bought Scepter ramps on Amazon because I saw stories here and there about Rhino ramps collapsing at well under their max loads.

You can find anything onthe internets.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Not sure how long you should use composite ramps - Google says several have collapsed...

Won't happen in a million years. I want to see proof..well I don't really. They will never collapse...speaking as a Mechanical engineer.

Last edited:
I read Amazon reviews last year and they had reviews with pictures of that happening on Amazon.

Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
I bought Scepter ramps on Amazon because I saw stories here and there about Rhino ramps collapsing at well under their max loads.

You can find anything onthe internets.

Originally Posted By: 4WD

Won't happen in a million years. I want to see proof..well I don't really. They will never collapse...speaking as a Mechanical engineer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back