Change oil now or later

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the deal, I have a 2014 ford fusion with the 2.5 w/o turbo, and it has 17000+ miles on it. It last had the oil changed in march of this year with MC 5/20 and MC filter. It was then short tripped for a couple months, then taken on a 700+ mile trip, and 700+miles back home. over the next months it had a couple 100+ mile trips, but all the rest of the miles were short around town trips. For a total of about 3500 miles to date. Now in about 2 weeks I am going to drive it about500 miles then in a couple days back home 500 miles. My question is--- do I change the oil and filter before the trip or after. I won't change it again till spring, with lots of short winter trips. I live in Nebraska, so cold winters, but the car is garaged, and it rarely gets to below freezing inside. Also the oil I will be putting in will be QS 5/20 full synthetic, with a fram ultra filter.

Which way makes you feel better?

The important part is that it has plenty of oil in it. Get some M1 0W-40 to top it off and change whenever you get around to it before winter.

Last edited:
The road trip won't hurt the oil at all and you're well within Ford's mileage and time recommendations.
Change it in October and you can then leave it be until spring.

Yeah those are easy miles. You could change filter only or just ride it out. If you want a feel good, just wash it up and enjoy the ride as I am sure it will be okay.

Im glad you are not using the Motorcraft filters anymore the ultra is my go to oil filter at the moment. Why not try Mobil 1 its a great oil and comes with a 12.00 rebate.

Originally Posted By: old1
Here is the deal, I have a 2014 ford fusion with the 2.5 w/o turbo, and it has 17000+ miles on it. It last had the oil changed in march of this year with MC 5/20 and MC filter. It was then short tripped for a couple months, then taken on a 700+ mile trip, and 700+miles back home. over the next months it had a couple 100+ mile trips, but all the rest of the miles were short around town trips. For a total of about 3500 miles to date. Now in about 2 weeks I am going to drive it about500 miles then in a couple days back home 500 miles. My question is--- do I change the oil and filter before the trip or after. I won't change it again till spring, with lots of short winter trips. I live in Nebraska, so cold winters, but the car is garaged, and it rarely gets to below freezing inside. Also the oil I will be putting in will be QS 5/20 full synthetic, with a fram ultra filter.

That's only 4500 miles, with at least 2400 on the highway. Your oil will be fine for the trip.

edit: whups, didn't read down far enough before answering...have a great trip!

Last edited:
Make sure the oil is topped up prior to the trip, then change it after the trip.

Engine wear and oil contamination depend more on the number of trips and time at idle than actual total miles. In some cases a long trip will improve the condition of the oil.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
If it was me, I would change it after your 1000 mile trip

I agree.

I have the exact same engine in my 2016 Escape which has a 5.7 qt. sump and should easily do the 4500 miles that you will have when you return from your trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back