Custom made roof-rack mounts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an old Yakima Raptor bike rack that I love and have used for years.

But my Jeep has an aero style cross-bar roof-rack.

Yakima wants to charge $40 for some injection molded ABS plastic. Worst part is that I would have to order TWO sets to convert my old bike rack to the new aero style, as I have 6 mounting locations.

https://www.yakima.com/mighty-mount-39h

Anyone have any ideas as to how I can make some home-made ones? Right now my best idea is some cushioned loop straps or maybe ubolts.

Yakima used to have a monopoly on this stuff,that is why the prices are so high,and the lifetime warranty,ebay should have them a bit cheaper used,my local bike shop has all the yakima stuff on clearance right now for $5 for a pack of 4 mighty mounts,whats your part #

Last edited:
I either need the 39H or the 20H.

Part numbers seem inconsistent on the web.

I found a 20H set on ebay for $10.99 shipped.

If you're handy and have the necessary tools....GO FOR IT!

My friend cobbled rack adapting hardware to accommodate an old Sears ExCargo "clamshell" rooftop carrier.

The hardware you linked to looks more like stops than clamps.

The trouble with "roof-rack" questions is that they are never illustrated enough.

You know, what do you have; what do you need...exactly. Nobody knows what to say.

Double or triple up some HD UV resistant zip ties? Replace yearly. My Dad has done this to install some cross bars on their Forester for the canoe. The ties really only hold the bars in place as the canoe is tied on from the bows to the car but he's pretty sure the roof rails would break before the zip ties anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back