Would you reuse oil jugs if it was an option?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: stroked93
I am the parts manager at a heavy Equipment Dealer. We are kicking around the Idea of offering refills for customer's oil packaging. 1 gallon, 2.5 gallon, 5gallon, and 55 Gallon. We have bulk oil containment and disbursement equipment and a oil lab on site. I test the oil into and out of the tank. Its filtered both ways. So the question is if you could save say 10-15% on your oil prices would you re-use your containers? This would be mainly smaller customers as large companies generally have bulk oil on site from us or another supplier.

Makes good sense; I'd be likely to do it.

Absolutely. I used to do this all the time in the past, when I owned a Ford F-250HD with a 7.3 diesel motor. There's a Phillips 66 Distributor about 5 miles from my house. I had six 1 gallon Super HD 15W40 jugs, when they were empty, I'd take them in and have them refilled with bulk 15W40 Super HD oil. They took my used oil as well. It was quite a bit more economical to buy the bulk oil than to buy cases of new jugs.

If I did my own PM's on my Series 60 Detroit, I would certainly do it again, only with 5 gallon pails. I would have pails dedicated for my used oil, -for recycling, and pails dedicated for the new oil.

Yes, I'm cheap, and no, I don't consider it as being too much of a hassle. I enjoy changing oil in my personal vehicles, and my goal is to one day be able to do the PM's on my Semi myself.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald
A sealed jug pretty much guarantees I am getting what is on the label. That's worth something to me.

I can definitely understand that. When I used to get my gallon jugs refilled with bulk oil, one of the guys at the distributor had me walk into the back, and I could see the label on the barrel, which stated the brand name and weight. I never thought much about it, but I'm guessing they did it because some folks may have expressed concerns that there were getting the correct product.

I noticed a fair amount of my area's Farmers bought their oil in the same fashion.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Originally Posted By: car51
I do it all the time and usually I wash the jug out with DAWN soap before I re use the 5qt or 1 gallon jug

I hope you're kidding. Soap doesn't need to be in an engine. Their is no way you can wash out all the soap.

not to mention he is basically washing out what is clean oil....lol

Originally Posted By: stroked93
I am the parts manager at a heavy Equipment Dealer. We are kicking around the Idea of offering refills for customer's oil packaging. 1 gallon, 2.5 gallon, 5gallon, and 55 Gallon. We have bulk oil containment and disbursement equipment and a oil lab on site. I test the oil into and out of the tank. Its filtered both ways. So the question is if you could save say 10-15% on your oil prices would you re-use your containers? This would be mainly smaller customers as large companies generally have bulk oil on site from us or another supplier.

I would definitely do it for the savings, and honestly, the oil from the barrels is the same oil in the 1 gallon jugs. The fact that you're filtering the oil coming out of the barrel is extra piece of mind for the customer.

Last edited:
Also that random nerd who reads his car takes 4.3 quarts can go and buy 4.3 quarts.

You know who you are.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Also that random nerd who reads his car takes 4.3 quarts can go and buy 4.3 quarts.

You know who you are.

crackmeup2.gif
01.gif

Originally Posted By: car51
I do it all the time and usually I wash the jug out with DAWN soap before I re use the 5qt or 1 gallon jug

Where you dumping that contaminated water?

Never mind as I only used a bit of dawn soap for crying out loud. Instead of criticizing someone for using DAWN dish soap; some people need to learn how to grow up. SMH!

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman

I hope you're kidding. Soap doesn't need to be in an engine. Their is no way you can wash out all the soap.

You must suck at washing things if you cannot get all the soap out of a container.

My lubricant supplier has a good deal on bulk HDEO oil so I refill used oil jugs regularly and haven't had any problems with contaminated oil. As long as the jug to be refilled is clean inside, you're good to go.

I used to re-use 55 gallon drums from our bulk supplier as it was quite a bit cheaper than buying another drum, no worries.

You must be getting hit hard for your drum deposits. An oil supplier I have used in the past only charged a $20 drum deposit. I got that back when they picked up the drum full of used oil when they delivered new oil.

Packaging in general is expensive regardless of size. Also a chance to do something "GREEN" in an industry that is under the gun to do just that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back