Volvo brake question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought this '02 S60 last winter knowing I'd need to do front brakes pretty soon. I think that time has come.

Here's my question: will pads from NAPA or AutoZone do on a Volvo? I can buy the foreign brands for more money on FCP Euro, though, admittedly, not all that much more. It's more about the convenience of walking into the local store tomorrow as opposed to buying online.

Also, at least for now, I'm not planning to do rotors. They aren't warped and the lady who had the car had them put on new during the last pad job.

This is my first foray into the world of brakes on a European car so I'm a bit in the dark. Thanks a lot

Last edited:
You will get responses here advising you to use OEM because that is what was engineered for your Volvo. or to use aftermarket pads because you can get more performance for your money or same performance for less money.

It's really your choice. I advise NOT getting the cheapest pads out there. I'm a big fan of Akebono; and you certainly would not go wrong with Volvo pads. I've done hundreds of brake jobs... just to give a point of reference on pads...

Last edited:
Her S60 is having great luck with her Advance Auto Parts brake pads. Stops great and minimal dust too.

Like always (at least with me), the first one is always the hardest. Go to Napa and buy some Syl-glyde (sp?) and grease the pins while you're in there too.

I strongly consider you look into planning on replacing the 2 front brake hoses that run from the steel line into the caliper. Hers were cracked and dry rotted. FCP Euro has Meyle (sp?) that are EU made and decently priced.

Use DOT 4 too.
wink.gif

One thing to remember is that the "rubber extensions" which house the pins have caps can be knocked off.
In my case (2002 V70-same car, really) one cap was gone and one of the tubes was half eaten away.
If you need to replace one it's a simple process which is done by removing the caliper bracket.
The tubes pull through easily from the "inside".
Doing it yourself? Get a 7mm hex socket and a socket set.

Buy the better brakes from anywhere that has quality brake pads..Brakes are pretty much the same design car to car. If you can get them at a good price at the dealer go for it... A lot of dealers know if they are not a little fair they have no business so some have learned the hard way not to slam the customer to hard all the time.

Im good with Napa and auto zone ceramic.. Stops good and wholesale they are usually less than $30.00

The genuine Volvo will have the European spec printed on them, and from what I have read that specification is strict. I like the set I have on my Volvo 240. Came with shims already installed on the pad. I think your Volov specs semi-metallic like my 240 does for good friction/stopping power.

On Euro, I always use Genuine pads from the dealer and either Genuine, Zimmerman coated or ATE rotors. I tried the Akebono ceramic on one vehicle (BMW) and had noise issues (after about a year) and the pedal feel was never quite right.

Technically, you can usually get 2 sets of pads before having to replace rotors. Always measure the rotor thickness. But I have never felt comfortable installing pads on rotors with noticeable lips.

Thanks, everybody. Very helpful.

I may look into the Advance line. Nice hearing from someone using them on the same application.

As for the Volvo line, I'll probably steer clear of them. That's what's on there now and they are the dustiest brakes I have ever seen. I'm a fairly light braker, but I can't keep these wheels clean.

I have a 2004 XC70 which I think is the same breaks as your 02 S60. I have NAPA Adaptive One pads and OEM rotors that I got at NAPA and they are awesome! Far better then the factory pads as far as being quiet and absolutely not dust! almost 2 years in and then are like new.

Originally Posted By: double vanos
www.autohausaz.com

Or rmeuropean.com

I would live with the brake dust. On Euro cars, the dusty pads are the only ones that will give you the great pedal feel and bite. Any other pad will be a compromise to some degree.

Any major brand brake parts company will make pads to fit a Volvo, so no need to use expensive dealer parts.

Make sure the rear brakes are tested on a rolling road, cos older ABS systems base front brake pressure on the rear ABS ring sensors in an emergency stop, so if the rear wheels can't get a near lock (Often caused by bad calipers) the ABS will not apply enough pressure to the fronts to avoid a potential loss of control.
So the condition of the rear brakes can be more important than the fronts in some cases.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I would live with the brake dust. On Euro cars, the dusty pads are the only ones that will give you the great pedal feel and bite. Any other pad will be a compromise to some degree.

Rated for higher friction that's for sure. I don't compromise on stopping power because of brake dust.

I've used the Akebono Euro ceramic pads in both Volvos. They're the most quiet, zero dust, and despite the detractors, have good bite. Further, they lasted 100,000 miles on the XC, on the front.

Now, if you would like to get better brakes, it's actually cheap.

You likely have the 280mm rotors. All cars, except the T5 have them. You can buy new brackets from Rock Auto for $15 each, 2 needed. Then buy the 305mm rotors and the new brackets will position the calipers for the larger rotors. They will just fit under 16" wheels.

Cost is minimal: new pads, new rotors and the brackets, but there is noticeably better brake performance from the larger swept area and greater leverage of the bigger rotors.

I just did this in the XC. now, I used cross drilled rotors for wet performance, so they were a bit more than stock, but all in, about $300 for a set of brakes that needed to be done anyway. The brackets and the extra cost of larger rotors over stock size was about $50. Cross drilled rotors added a few $$ more over stock. I've had good luck with Brembo rotors from Tire Rack. Zimmerman are good as well.

If your hoses are original, do them at the same time. Flush the system and you'll have good brakes. Follow the advice above about cleaning and lubricating the calipers, which are a single piston design.

When it's time to do the rear, be certain to replace the parking brake shoes. Old ones can delaminate, jam, bind the brake and overheat the wheel hub.

Last edited:
I used akebono pads and raybestos rotors on mine. I believe the oem rotors are a little soft, like many of the europeans-- so I would either use oem for all or use aftermarket rotors with aftermarket pads. the combo I have doesn't have as much initial bite, BUT in my opinion the car had almost too much bite and this allows a little more modulation. Mine just has the smaller rotors and for the way I drive it is better than fine - it has very good brakes and is confident in hard stops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back