VOA NAPA Synthetic 5W-30 Dexos1

Status
Not open for further replies.
This NAPA branded synthetic 5W-30 Dexos was purchased from NAPA during the recent $2.99 quart sale.

ALS Tribology in Atlanta, GA. processed the sample. They received the sample on 9/7/16, and the results were posted today 9/14/16 to my account.

Here is the most recent NAPA synthetic product data sheet that Valvoline sent me, and the email they sent with the product data sheet. There is significantly more calcium in the VOA than the product data sheet has listed. The calcium and sodium levels are a close match to Synpower. The product data sheet is over a year old, so I think it's not current with what is being bottled for sale now.

From Valvoline Tech Line:

"The Valvoline SynPower Full Synthetic Motor Oil and the NAPA Full Synthetic Motor Oil products feature different additive and detergent packages. The base stocks for both products are the same. Attached to this email is the Product Information sheet for the NAPA products. The GM dexos1 specification will be specified on the sheet. Also, GM runs www.gmdexos.com which they update with all approved products. NAPA products will appear on this list."

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Whoa! Nellie!

Phosphorous almost 100PPM over high limit according to ALS.

I noticed that too. Not too sure about this, but I think I read some where that 10% over maximum was acceptable.

that is nice when an oil company lists their pds i like when they have it posted on their website that means something.. Some seem to play hide and seek.

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
Viscosity is also 10% thick... I wonder if it wasn't actually a mislabeled bottle of 10w-30?

Regular M1 5w-30 comes in around 11.1 operating temp viscosity so this is close, though a bit high. Stout add package. If not for the sodium I'd almost use this.

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
Viscosity is also 10% thick... I wonder if it wasn't actually a mislabeled bottle of 10w-30?

Pretty sure the viscosity is within the maximum for a 5W-30, and it's not over by any percentage. Less than 12.5 I think is the upper limit for a 5W-30.

Sure isnt a oil I would want to use in winter. For 2.99 a qt its a price point friendly oil,but its nothing more than bare minimum oil. Think I would pay a bit more for Pennzoil or M1.

Looks as good as Synpower, although TBN looks a little low in comparison.
No moly or boron, of course and only a trace amount of mag.
Looks like a good 5-7K oil for most any user and you really have to like the sale price with no MIR required.
OTOH, RK will sell you their house brand syn for a little less every day and sometimes offer it for less than that and there are also cheaper deals on Meijer's house brand syn.
Still, thanks for the VOA. This oil does look perfectly good and it is cheap during the NAPA sales and there are NAPAs everywhere.

I always was under the impression that moly and boron were/are, superior additives for engine protection. So every time I see Napa/valvoline I think of an oil that is slightly below the leading brands (Mobil, Penzoil, etc). I have used NAPA synthetic many times before - because it was on sale - and I find that I tend to use a little more oil compared to Mobil 1 in my car. I really don't know know if it's any worse than the other brands...maybe, maybe not. I'd use it again, but I'd keep the intervals around 5,000 miles, that seems to be the sweet spot for oil usage in my car using NAPA synthetic.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Looks as good as Synpower, although TBN looks a little low in comparison.
No moly or boron, of course and only a trace amount of mag.
Looks like a good 5-7K oil for most any user and you really have to like the sale price with no MIR required.
OTOH, RK will sell you their house brand syn for a little less every day and sometimes offer it for less than that and there are also cheaper deals on Meijer's house brand syn.
Still, thanks for the VOA. This oil does look perfectly good and it is cheap during the NAPA sales and there are NAPAs everywhere.

Thanks!

No RK or Meijer stores in my area, or I would be buying those too depending on the price. I was happy with the VOA, and it was what I expected, which is pretty dang good for the money.

Originally Posted By: doublebase
I always was under the impression that moly and boron were/are, superior additives for engine protection. So every time I see Napa/valvoline I think of an oil that is slightly below the leading brands (Mobil, Penzoil, etc). I have used NAPA synthetic many times before - because it was on sale - and I find that I tend to use a little more oil compared to Mobil 1 in my car. I really don't know know if it's any worse than the other brands...maybe, maybe not. I'd use it again, but I'd keep the intervals around 5,000 miles, that seems to be the sweet spot for oil usage in my car using NAPA synthetic.

I hear you about the moly and boron. But look at Mobil Super 5000. The add pack we can see on paper, minus the titanium, looks similar to NAPA/Valvoline, and it does not have boron or moly. There are some very nice UOA's on Mobil Super 5000 here on these forums. I think Lubrizol has a hand in the NAPA/Valvoline add pack, but I don't know about the Mobil Super 5000.

Thanks for posting, no Moly, no Boron and not enough detergent Calcium for a diesel.
It's just another cheap oil that will be OK for non extended OCI's in a non turbo gas engine in my opinion.

Valvoline synpower never worked any time I tried it in 5w or 10W 30 flavours. The 0w20 has been the exception in Subaru. They love this stuff better than anything. I'm going back to it when the M1EP is done.

VR1 10w30 Racing Syn works very well in ODPE in non pressurized/non-filtered applications++ with a touch of LiquiMoly.

++ 6500 generac "chonda" ohv and 8hp Snow King Tecumseh Snow Blower engine.

OK, sorry.... measured viscosity is nearly 10% thick compared to PDS... better?
smile.gif

That NAPA product data sheet is not what is being bottled and sold in NAPA stores right now. That product data sheet is over a year old. I just posted that sheet because Valvoline said it was the current sheet. The VOA shows a lot more calcium which is similar to Synpower, and not the calcium level of Valvoline conventional that the product data sheet shows.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Valvoline synpower never worked any time I tried it in 5w or 10W 30 flavours.

How do you qualify this? Noise, consumption, vibrations etc.?

Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK
Thanks for posting, no Moly, no Boron and not enough detergent Calcium for a diesel.
It's just another cheap oil that will be OK for non extended OCI's in a non turbo gas engine in my opinion.

This is not a diesel oil nor spec'd to be run in diesel engines, so don't see your point there. It meets the DEXOS spec so it should do just fine in turbo engines and mid range OCIs (

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back