HID kit lo beams point high

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought the Innovited HID kit on amazon bi-xenon. It has a 4.5/5 star rating with about 1,500 reviews. Has lo and hi hid beams. Had them installed today. You know how the lo beams are supposed to be pointed to the road so that it doesn't blind on coming drivers. Well these lo beams point relatively high which I can see will be a problem for on coming drivers. It also does switch to hi beams which point even higher. Is this the bulb causing this problem?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00FC22PV...&ref=plSrch

Last edited:
35.gif

Originally Posted By: gallydif
^^^ am I missing something here?

Putting HIDs into a reflector headlamp creates glare because it was specifically designed for a bulb with a filament. Whenever someone does this, it causes BITOG panic.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster

Just wait...
36.gif

A proper conversion usually requires housings.

The arc producing the light isnt in the same location or shape as the factory filament the housing was designed for..... therefore

you get tons of light all over blinding people and you cant really see any better.. with the various hotspots degrading your night vision.

Your incandescent low beams probably have black paint on the tips so the filament doesn't directly shine out of the housings but rather has to be focussed by reflectors. High beams usually skip this. Your kit might be skipping this, too.

Are your headlights adjustable? I installed HID headlights 2 years ago and had to readjust the height.

If I didn't it would have blinded oncoming traffic. The bulbs/headlight cannot sit at the same height if the whole bulb is exposed.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440

Putting HIDs into a reflector headlamp creates glare because it was specifically designed for a bulb with a filament. Whenever someone does this, it causes BITOG panic.

+1. No way Id put HIDs into a reflector.

A projector, by my testing, creates no objectionable glare, and street lights, internal infotainment screens, oncoming lights, etc. all create far more foreground and glare light than a set of HIDs.

But no way would I run in a reflector where the misalignments of the hot zone can go unchecked.

Another thing to remember is that the "capsule" which goes into your reflector is tiny so it can fit into the highest number of reflectors.
As a subsequence it puts out very little light in the first place.
The horrid glare is due to the bad focusing mentioned above.

No shortcuts to good lighting.

Took a test drive tonight. definitly angles high.
Here's a picture with the lo beams:

Here's a video switching from lo to hi:

There are many threads about this.

Basically you're getting no sympathy because the projectors designed for halogens can't focus HID lights properly, you need projectors designed for HID and if your car never had them as an option, the HID is basically not street legal. Most HID kits sold do not have DOT approval. Projectors can only be designed for halogens or HID, not both. That's why they scatter light and blind other motorists. And actual vision is worse. HID kits are one of the worse things you can do to the car, they blind other motorists and your actual vision is diminished. They only sell them because people buy them, like the pet rock and the Chia pet.

That's why everyone was waiting for the flames.

I bought the Innovited HID kit on amazon bi-xenon. It has a 4.5/5 star rating with about 1,500 reviews. Has lo and hi hid beams. Had them installed today. You know how the lo beams are supposed to be pointed to the road so that it doesn't blind on coming drivers. Well these lo beams point relatively high which I can see will be a problem for on coming drivers. It also does switch to hi beams which point even higher. Is this the bulb causing this problem?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00FC22PV...&ref=plSrch

I'm going to let you in on a secret. Our cars have some of the worst headlights ever put into a production car.

They were so bad that GM was forced to make the T84 Export Light for cars going abroad.

They stink with stock halogens, and get worse with LED or HID.

I don't know all the causes but I am so tired of ultra bright headlights in my face, mirrors, and back window. This happens on highways and city streets where airplane landing lights are far from necessary. I can sometimes tell which ones are aftermarket by the ridiculous colors. Others could be OEM or just mounted high on trucks and SUV's. Still others just seem content to drive with high beams on continuously these days. Maybe I should do like the Blues Brothers and wear dark Ray Bans at night.

Many think a big patch of light right in front of the vehicle is a good low beam. Not so. Other posters have made that clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back