How Long Should Aftermarket Radiator Hoses Last?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in 2012 I replaced the factory (from 2000) upper and lower hoses on the Cherokee along with the water pump and fan clutch. No reason other than a "just because" - the cooling systems on these Cherokees are very sensitive and I didn't want to have that leave me on a trail when something gave out.

I have noticed the Jeep has been losing some coolant lately. I didn't think it was a cracked head because I could smell coolant but couldn't find it leaking anywhere significant. This weekend after a bit of a highway run, I stopped to get some gas and coffee and let it idle when I ran in the store - was with some friends - and came back out and there was big puddle of coolant.

Turns out the upper radiator hose just started bulging at the thermostat end and spraying out around the hose clamp. The hose clamp is tight but it seems that the hose is just coming apart and dryrotting after 4 years.

Is this normal for aftermarket (Napa) hoses to only last 4 years? I have put maybe 40,000 miles on it from doing the hoses and pump last time.

That's not typical (from my experience anyway). Sounds like you just happened to get a bad one.

maybe they were cheap material and not modern EPDM?

Some china junk like many of napa's parts?

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
was there any oil contamination on the hose?

Not on the upper. It's on the other side of the engine bay from the leaks. The lower definitely got a PS fluid bath at one point.

Originally Posted By: Rand
maybe they were cheap material and not modern EPDM?

Some china junk like many of napa's parts?

The Napa wheel bearings, battery , starter and now this rad hose I bought all aroudn the same time have failed.

I no longer buy from Napa

Yeah, I always had second thoughts about NAPA.

Is it even remotely possible you overtightened the hose clamp and cut it?

I too bought GATES hoses when I replaced those in my sister's Cherokee.

I bought them through Amazon. The '99 Cherokee has only 4 hoses...that's cool.

Any chance that replacement hoses have the same lifespan that hoses had, back in the day? Which was what, 5 years or so?

Sounds like a reason to go back to the boneyard and pick up... OEM hoses. Maybe two of each.

I'm still tempted to throw out the Autozone caliper I have on my truck, and buy an OEM one. Aftermarket seems to be rather dicey, at best.

Same thing happened on my grandfather's Cherokee. Upper radiator hose leaked after only being a few years old and I couldn't figure out how, even with the clamp really tight. Put on a new clamp, no more leaks. These cooling systems are really picky, they're definitely the soft spot on these Jeeps. I've replaced every single cooling system component on it.

Gates makes Napa's belts and hoses - and Gates does make good stuff. I'm thinking clamps(I stick to OEM spring clamps or German Norma/Gema clamps for good reason), cooling system contamination(EPDM/neoprene rubber doesn't like oil) or galvanic activity in the system.

The clamp is tight, but not overtight. When I had it off to change the radiator, I noticed that it was decomposing form the inside out. I think taking it off of the theromstat housing was what made it worse.

The good news is, it's an easy job to change the hose and I can probably do it once it starts to get dark tonight at home.

It's only a bit of a small spray but I know it's going to let go big time when it's inconvenient.

I bought a dayco replacement so hopefully that will work!

Pretty sure I have the only one of these with good coolant in it. Have changed the coolant 3 or 4 times since I've owned it. Which is nice - heater core shouldn't get plugged.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back