Sig P938 Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've recently started having a few problems with my Sig P938:

• 2-piece guide rod (screwed together) started coming unscrewed. Sig promptly sent a replacement free of charge. But the new one appears to be the same design, so, I'm sure the problem will crop up again after I shoot it some.

• Trigger not resetting. Last couple of times I went to the range, I couldn't get through a magazine without this happening. A smith told me that some debris can get between the trigger bar and sear and cause this. I took the grips off and hosed it out. I'm planning on going to the range in the next couple of days, so, I'll report back if it's still happening.

• Magazine releasing without the mag catch button being pushed. This happens only with the mag that has an extension for my little finger. My theory is that muzzle flip, which obviously puts substantial force on that pinky extension, is causing this. It's only recently started doing this, so, I have to assume it's being caused by a component that's gotten worn. I've only had it happen with one of the magazines; I have another identical mag that I need to try and see if the same thing happens. Again, I'll report back.

• Grip screws. I'm always having grip screws coming out and getting lost. Sig has been very good about sending me replacements at no charge, but it's irritating.

This was my primary EDC for a couple of years, but I won't be carrying it until I figure these problems out - especially the trigger reset and uncommanded magazine release problems.

On a positive note, I used these problems as an excuse to buy a new EDC piece - my Glock 32! See my other thread.

nice looking pistol every sig i have bought new has had problems similar to what your having as much money as they sell for they should be premium quality with no problems i bet you will never have a glitch with the glock 32 i have switched to HK and have been real impressed

It looks very gunky where the safety lever is. I would start be field stripping, removing the grips, and giving the gun a good washing in clean Kerosene. Followed by a blow dry with compressed air. Loctite the guide rod, but not the grip screws. They can strip out if you do when you try to remove them. Instead use nail polish or Vibra-Tite. It works better, and will not cause problems if you want to ever remove them.

Between a good washing and re lubrication, along with Loctiting the 2 piece guide rod, and snugging up the grip screws with Vibra-Tite on the threads. You should be in business. That pistol should run fine.

https://www.vibra-tite.com/products/threadlockers/vibra-tite-vc-4/

I'm wondering if a stiffer spring would help with the magazine releasing unintended. If the slide is coming back that hard maybe its causing the mag button to move.

Would he a good gun to own a sonic cleaner for with the buildup issue, or some gun scrubber or other aerosol cleaner should remove everything down there.

I recommend selling it and getting a shield

Originally Posted By: billt460
It looks very gunky where the safety lever is. I would start be field stripping, removing the grips, and giving the gun a good washing in clean Kerosene. Followed by a blow dry with compressed air. Loctite the guide rod, but not the grip screws. They can strip out if you do when you try to remove them. Instead use nail polish or Vibra-Tite. It works better, and will not cause problems if you want to ever remove them.

Between a good washing and re lubrication, along with Loctiting the 2 piece guide rod, and snugging up the grip screws with Vibra-Tite on the threads. You should be in business. That pistol should run fine.

https://www.vibra-tite.com/products/threadlockers/vibra-tite-vc-4/

Agreed. I think it's quality (well, other than the guide rod. They should have made that one piece). Probably just needed cleaning. Like I say, I hosed it out with gun scrubber. We'll see how it does, and if I have the magazine problem with my other magazine.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Would he a good gun to own a sonic cleaner for with the buildup issue, or some gun scrubber or other aerosol cleaner should remove everything down there.

A Shield wouldn't fit this role for me. I bought the Sig as a pocket pistol. If I got rid of this, I'd probably buy a Kahr PM9.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer

A Shield wouldn't fit this role for me. I bought the Sig as a pocket pistol. If I got rid of this, I'd probably buy a Kahr PM9.

I know we have our favorites and I am not criticising your choice but what is it that makes you rule out the LC9 s Pro and epecially the Glock 43. Both way cheaper.Just brand preference?

Not to beat on this Sig model, but I recently shot one of these and the recoil and amount of vibration transferred into my hand and palm made this a no-go for me and I have very large hands. The .380 version of this pistol shoots far and away better than the 9MM version (just my experience).

Originally Posted By: Al

I know we have our favorites and I am not criticising your choice but what is it that makes you rule out the LC9 s Pro and epecially the Glock 43. Both way cheaper.Just brand preference?

Both of the models you mention are larger than the 938 - large enough to exclude them from pocket carry, for me. They would, however, be great IWB guns. But if I'm going to go IWB, why not go with something with more capacity that's also larger and easier to accurately shoot?

When I bought the 938, I had my choices narrowed down to the Sig P938 or the Kahr PM9 or CM9. The Kahr "twins" are almost identical in size to the P938. I shot both and liked both... It was really almost a flip of the coin to decide which to get. I'd still like to have the Kahr - either the PM9 or CM9 (they're the same except for a few higher-end touches on the PM9, like polygonal rifling, etching instead of rollmarks on the slide, dovetailed sights instead of pinned-in, and I can't remember what else.

For some, it would be a matter of preference of battery of arms. The Kahr has a really good, long, smooth, DA revolver-style trigger, where the Sig is 1911-style battery of arms. SA, 8-lb trigger with thumb safety.

Originally Posted By: Al

Glock 43 costs more and doesn't have the 8 round magazine option without modification. Both have tons of aftermarket support but the shield has been doing it longer and better in my opinion.

The Ruger LC9S is not ruled out here but I would say personal preference rules that out for me.

I'll give you $200 for that piece of junk.....
grin.gif

Glock 43 costs more and doesn't have the 8 round magazine option without modification.
I own a shield. Great pistol.But too big for me..for every day carry. I carry the shield when hiking. The weight/size isn't a problem.

I don't have any problems with fitting my shield in my pocket, that's my typical carry method, although I think I might get an LCP or M&P Bodyguard to replace the role and when I hip carry my shield the 380 will be backup.

The only reason I don't like to pocket carry is that it takes the place of my OC spray and my belt already has my Leatherman and reload magazine on it

I don't have any problems with fitting my shield in my pocket, that's my typical carry method, although I think I might get an LCP or M&P Bodyguard to replace the role and when I hip carry my shield the 380 will be backup.

The only reason I don't like to pocket carry is that it takes the place of my OC spray and my belt already has my Leatherman and reload magazine on it

Yeah, I COULD carry my new G32 in my pocket. That doesn't make it ideal.

For me, handguns the size of the P938 and Kahr PM9 are about the largest that I want to pocket carry.

I'd like to have a.380 to carry when I'm running or riding my bike.

Originally Posted By: Doog
I'll give you $200 for that piece of junk.....
grin.gif

LOL... I'm not quite ready to give up on it...yet. I think it's a good gun - I just need to figure these issues out.

Just gotta have the right pants it makes a huge difference. I use Duluth trading pants. The pockets are huge and certain models the pockets ride better than others.

I was having okay results with the flex fire pants but they're kinda thin and then I tried the sweat stop fire hose flex utility pants and its much easier all around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back