BG Maintenance Services

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.bgprod.com/

So, at my local Honda Dealer, I was looking to take my Accord in for a 100k mile service.

They offer a lot of BG services. Here is what I found on the dealer's service scheduler site:

BG Power Steering Fluid Flush
BG Brake Fluid Service
BG Power Flush Automatic Transmission
BG Power Flush Cooling System

I don't have the time do these services myself. I've done several several drain and fill's on my AT using Honda ATF in the 3 years I've owned the car....but it's due for another round of D/F's soon (it had a BG AT flush performed when I bought the car, per my request of having fresh ATF in the car upon purchase). 2 years ago, I used a turkey baster and did several D/F's on the power steering reservoir using Honda P/S Fluid. And I've had the brake fluid serviced (using this BG Flush) when I bought the car in 2013 from this dealer. And of course, the coolant is untouched, and ready to be changed.

It would be easy to drop the car off and have all this done at once. I know it might be a bit costly, but I need convenience at this time. But just as important as convenience, is quality. I do NOT want to put some garbage in this well-maintained vehicle that I expect to drive for a LONG time.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
90% of the time a dealership is offering any BG products when no problem is present, it is mark up scam. Not to say the products themselves do not do what they claim, just you have to ask yourself if you are in need of any of it?

If me, I would just be getting whatever the maintenance schedule for 100K is asking to be done, done. Leave the dealer pushing snake oil for someone else.

What it might call "flush" is simply a name for "fluid exchange". Unless if it's using caustic chemicals and/or under pressure, it might just be another name for "drain and fill".

That said, I'd be tempted to wait and do it yourself. Most cars go a rather long time on original fluids; going a bit over isn't the kiss of death. Not only that, but what you save paying for labor ought to pay for OEM fluids, if you are concerned. [Or you could shop for the "best" fluid to use; point is, not paying for labor should save quite a bit so as to afford any fluid desired.]

Since the ATF has been serviced at least once, I'd be most concerned about the coolant. That I'd just drain in the driveway and refill. Even if it's not a 100% exchange, just putting in fresh fluid should renew the anticorrosion inhibitors to "good enough".

Why don't you just follow the maintenance minder and get done what it tells you is needed. Honda does specify brake fluid changes every three years regardless of mileage, so I would get done. I personally would keep any BG chemicals out of the car. Honda specifically recommends, against any of these third-party additives, and Hondas are, in my opinion, pretty picky on fluids. I'd stick with OEM and follow what is suggested on the minder, although you have thrown it off some by not following it to begin with.

BG is just an additional line of products and services for dealers and garages to pump up profits. Using Honda fluids at regular intervals and your Honda will last as long as any Honda. Like dlayman said, Honda specifically recommends their fluids and against other additives.

Skip all that nonsense. The only one you might want to consider is the brake fluid due to the 3 yr mark. But make sure they actually hook up a machine and don't just evac/refill the MC, saying the fluid's "changed."

You can drain & fill the coolant in your driveway using Honda Blue for less than $40.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
Skip all that nonsense. The only one you might want to consider is the brake fluid due to the 3 yr mark. But make sure they actually hook up a machine and don't just evac/refill the MC, saying the fluid's "changed."

You can drain & fill the coolant in your driveway using Honda Blue for less than $40.

Non-sense? Really? Changing the fluids out of my 6 year old car is non-sense? I don't have the freakin' time to do it in my driveway. I stated in my OP. If I had time to change out all these fluids at home, I would. But I work a lot of hours and every weekend I'm on the road with my son on a National BMX circuit. We leave Friday right after school and get home Sunday night.

No time.

I'd find a different Honda dealer that will use some long life, quality Honda labeled fluids in it. Maybe do one service at a time every six months or one per oil change to keep the fluids fresh. Instead of paying hundreds now for all fresh fluids. Unless they will give you a break on the cost for having all of them done. Ask for the service manager and see what they will do.

Originally Posted By: Phishin

Non-sense? Really? Changing the fluids out of my 6 year old car is non-sense? I don't have the freakin' time to do it in my driveway. I stated in my OP. If I had time to change out all these fluids at home, I would. But I work a lot of hours and every weekend I'm on the road with my son on a National BMX circuit. We leave Friday right after school and get home Sunday night.

No time.

I think you are on a different mindset than what others are thinking. BG product to most people from experience are a line of products that are pushed on a premature inflated interval schedule by dealerships.

If your 100K service requires all these fluids to be changed, then get them changed. I doubt anybody is arguing against that. The point myself and probably others is making, is do not pay the premium for BG products if a normal service with standard fluids will suffice.

Of all the snake oil products, BG seems to be decent. I would tell them you would only do the services using the factory approved method which does not involve using snake oil.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
What is everyone's problem with BG?

All of their products are quality; I wouldn't hesitate to use any of their fluids, additives, or machines.

The products themselves are fine. It how they are usually marketed that is the problem. They are pushed by dealerships outside factory recommended intervals and usually by un-recommend methods from factory service guidelines. The use of their replacement fluids most times for just scheduled maintenance over a OEM or other aftermarket fluids is a waste of money.

I am still trying to understand what OP is trying to achieve by asking his question here. Is he looking for positive affirmation from bunch of strangers to perform this service so that he can feel good?

If so, go for it man!!

They seem OK ...
Have some friends/family doing the trans - making long runs on GM auto (but one can do that with pan flips too) ...
I have used the fuel system deal - truck ran better ...
BL (from the left Koast) mentions the engine flush often ...

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I am still trying to understand what OP is trying to achieve by asking his question here. Is he looking for positive affirmation from bunch of strangers to perform this service so that he can feel good?

If so, go for it man!!

Sorry if I wasn't clear:

Since I cannot find the time to perform all the fluid changes, would you:

A.) go to the Honda Dealer and have factory fluids installed

or

B.) have the same dealer peform BG fluid exchanges

Both services have the same price

No time.

Take it easy. By nonsense, I mean your Honda doesn't need nor require power flushes. That's the stuff pushed by corner gas station garages to make a quick buck. Regular drain & fills are all that's needed, especially since you had the fluids changed when purchasing the car. I don't think they add extra additives or reverse flush with a brake flush so only doing that shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:

Take it easy. By nonsense, I mean your Honda doesn't need nor require power flushes. That's the stuff pushed by corner gas station garages to make a quick buck. Regular drain & fills are all that's needed, especially since you had the fluids changed when purchasing the car. I don't think they add extra additives or reverse flush with a brake flush so only doing that shouldn't be a problem.

Exactly this.

Our dealership started offering the "BG System" flushes and additives and whatever purely to make more money. Nothing wrong with BG products by themselves, with the exception of the coolant additives which used to contain some sort of stop leak. The "44G" was a decent fuel system/injector cleaner. The problem is none of this is needed. Change/flush fluids as required, and call it a day. No need for additives if you are using the correct fluids, and changing them according to schedule.

Last edited:
Just dropped the car off at the Honda Dealer:

They are going to flush the cooling system with BG's cleaner, rinse, and then install Genuine Honda Long Life Blue Coolant
They are going to do a complete ATF transfusion using BG's machine. They will use BG's ATF as a replacement fluid.

I also had them replace the factory in-line transmission filter. I'll be doing posting pics later of this original filter with 96k miles on it.

Just dropped the car off at the Honda Dealer:

They are going to flush the cooling system with BG's cleaner, rinse, and then install Genuine Honda Long Life Blue Coolant
They are going to do a complete ATF transfusion using BG's machine. They will use BG's ATF as a replacement fluid.

I also had them replace the factory in-line transmission filter. I'll be doing posting pics later of this original filter with 96k miles on it.

31.gif

Honda specifically says NOT to machine flush any of their automatic transmissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back