Large oil drain pam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need to change oil in Ford pickup. 16qt oil sump. My current oil drain pan is 15qt. The 16qt FloTool one has some bad reviews on Amazon for thin plastic and holes discovered during first use.

Anyone have the Hopkins 24qt one?

Not sure I want to get a 16qt drain pan to drain 16qts of oil. Would like a little reserve capacity.

Cut the bottom off an oil drum, or scrounge up a largish square plastic jerrycan and cut it down the middle-ish. Or line a cardboard box with (more than one layer) of plastic sheet/rubbish bags.

Measure your clearance and you'll know how deep to make it.

People actually BUY these things?

Last edited:
I recently did a transmission pan drop on my Liberty. Tranny pan drops can be messy, I wanted something big and cheap. I used on of these, http://www.homedepot.com/p/Plasgad-Black-Large-Concrete-Mixing-Tub-887102C/205451585 not a drop of ATF anywhere. Even w/o extracting ATF prior to a pan drop it would work very well. It was well worth it for me. They make smaller ones that hold 10 gallons and they cost under $10. It would be perfect for your pickup.

Donald, I have the same truck. I cut the top inch or so off a home depot orange 5 gallon bucket and it slides under the truck no problems...and I still have the wire handle to carry it to dump into my disposal container...I use oil jugs or DEF jugs for used oil.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Ordered the Lisle 17942.

Good choice.

Had one for a couple years now, and it's made very good. I bought mine at O'Reilly auto parts on sale.

Guess my truck is kinda high, because when I slide a regular 5 gallon bucket under, there's still romm enough for my hand and wrench.

Whatever you use, make sure it is deep. Most diesels, when the oil comes out, it's like turning on a garden hose at full. If you use a shallow pan, expect a lot of splash over or ricochet.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I recently did a transmission pan drop on my Liberty. Tranny pan drops can be messy, I wanted something big and cheap. I used on of these, http://www.homedepot.com/p/Plasgad-Black-Large-Concrete-Mixing-Tub-887102C/205451585 not a drop of ATF anywhere. Even w/o extracting ATF prior to a pan drop it would work very well. It was well worth it for me. They make smaller ones that hold 10 gallons and they cost under $10. It would be perfect for your pickup.

Wow those look great for catching antifreeze and tranny fluid. Gonna pick a few up!

Originally Posted By: KingCake

Wow those look great for catching antifreeze and tranny fluid. Gonna pick a few up!
They sell them at Harbor Freight for $7.99

Originally Posted By: KingCake

For the price you can't beat it. I grabbed the 20+ gallon tub, [in the link] and was glad I did, for changing ATF it worked very well! Not a drop of ATF anywhere. The smaller HD tub holds about 3 gallons more than the HF tub, if that matters to you. I cleaned mine out real good after changing my ATF, in the winter I'll put wet boots in it.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Ordered the Lisle 17942.

It was a nice product and I poured the oil easily into the used oil container (cat litter container) to bring to my Indy mechanic.

Wish it had a screen as I hate fishing out drain plugs from an ocean of hot used oil.

Originally Posted By: George7941
Get the OTC drain plug tool. You will never drop a drain plug again and, as a bonus, you won't get oil on your hands.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGT1hQL4TIA

Quite nifty, and probably worthwhile for a pro, but I only change oil every 2-3 years, and then I use a mag pickup tool to recover the plug from the oil.

Dunno what this costs, but for such infrequent use its probably too much.

If it turned out to be usable more generally, avoiding dropped/lost bolt syndrome, then it might be justifiable. For that it'd probably have to accept sockets.

Oops. There goes another patent.

Re: Ducked
Nope they have the drain plug pro "hd" it has 1/2" drive

The regular one is 9.95$

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back