2011 Sonata 2.4 Potential Engine Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,
A few months ago I purchased an immaculate 31,000 mile 2011 Sonata limited with the 2.4l GDI engine. I love the car but have been disheartened since learning that just under half a million of this generation sonata was recalled due to potential engine failure from a bad manufacturing process. The "fix" is simply a technician listening for engine noise and putting a new dipstick in the engine that requires an additional half quart to be full compared to the original one. The vehicle was already thoroughly checked over by my mechanic and oil was changed with Castrol Magnatec 5w-20 and Mobil 1 filter. Everything checked out great but here is my question...

What are your opinions on keeping the car or looking to get rid of it in a few years? I could not imagine having the engine seize and needing to put in a used engine. At the same time, I do not want to get rid of a car that might be completely fine and is one I really enjoy! Also, any recommendations on general maintenance or other things to look out for? I would love to hear everyone's suggestion.

Thanks for reading and for your input!

Have a UOA done and see what you're working with. I'd sample at a minimum of 5k miles. Blackstone will send you a free sample kit. The analysis is around $28.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

When was the car built? It should be in driver's door jamb.

edit: It looks like yours would be right in the middle of the date ranges.

Last edited:
I wouldn't have any concerns with buying one, I almost bought a 2011 Sonata a few months ago but the Hyundai dealer was too slimy and had too many ridiculous mandatory fees and I walked.

Hyundai has extended the warranty on the engines on these cars to 10 years/120k miles.

I'd need to know a whole lot more about what the REAL problem is. Was it a manufacturing error that resulted in an incorrect indication and therefore chronic low oil level and the change actually fixes the problem? Or is raising the oil level some kind of band-aid fix?

Two totally different prospects.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Have a UOA done and see what you're working with. I'd sample at a minimum of 5k miles. Blackstone will send you a free sample kit. The analysis is around $28.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

When was the car built? It should be in driver's door jamb.

edit: It looks like yours would be right in the middle of the date ranges.

That is a great idea. I will definitely take a sample and have it analyzed. I am also going to call Hyundai tomorrow and confirm mine is affected by this specific recall. I suspect the previous owner already had it in for this.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I wouldn't have any concerns with buying one, I almost bought a 2011 Sonata a few months ago but the Hyundai dealer was too slimy and had too many ridiculous mandatory fees and I walked.

Hyundai has extended the warranty on the engines on these cars to 10 years/120k miles.

I believe the extended warranty only applies to the first and second owner. Unfortunately, I am the 3rd owner. The first owner had it for 3.5 years and put something like 4,000 miles a year on it. The second owner was the sales manager at the dealership I purchased the vehicle from. He put about 18,000 miles on the car in 1.5 years and then traded this into his dealership for a brand new vehicle. He had a great deal of maintenance records so I do not believe any of the owners got rid of it due to being a bad or abused vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Kool1
Based upon what you stated, I'd be very skeptical about extra oil curing a bad manufacturing process.

I agree, wouldn't call it a fix myself. That's why I am here figuring out my best options.

It is so hard to have to write this post because like I said, the thing seems to run and drive great!

Thanks all

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
I'd need to know a whole lot more about what the REAL problem is. Was it a manufacturing error that resulted in an incorrect indication and therefore chronic low oil level and the change actually fixes the problem? Or is raising the oil level some kind of band-aid fix?

Two totally different prospects.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/hyundai-sonata-engine-failures-prompt-recall

My understanding is that metallic debris may not have been properly removed during the manufacturing process and may be circulating inside the engine leading to seized bearings down the line. So it would seem it doesn't have anything to do with oil level, but somehow more oil might reduce the risk according to their fix. There are quite a few articles out about the issue but they all point to this scenario it seems.

I Googled the recall and it seems slightly different from your description.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2015/09/25/hyundai-recalls-sonata-engine-problem/72797502/

the real fix they indicate in the recall writeup is to change the engine assembly not just add oil. Also the warranty is extended to 10yrs/120k as part of this recall so you'd be covered for this specific defect even though you are 3rd owner.

but the defect was debris so it's random whether or not your car is affected.

if you like the car keep it especially if you intend to get rid of it before 120kmiles.

if you do have the debris issue. I assume it will destroy your engine before the warranty period is up and you'd be covered. if it makes it to 120k miles it probably isn't affected by this issue.

there is also something to be said of if you had good or bad experience. with Hyundai and you anticipate you get hard time if you are affected. so you know you don't even want to deal with that

Last edited:
I have the 2.4L in one of the vehicles (2010 Hyundai Tucson) and it has 112k+ on the clock. I think the fill is something like 4.7, maybe 4.8qts fill (not sure). I just dump the full 5qts jug, and at 5k run on the oil, it's on the full mark, checked just before draining.
I was told to keep it at the full mark, at least half way or more between the add-full. But not sure if this applies to the 2010, but then it ends up on the full after the 5k run anyway.

Ive little faith...just rented a 16 Sonata with 12000 miles on it and the engine popped. Only thing more disappointing was how Enterprise handled it. The picked up the POS with a wrecker but didn't have a replacement car for me. I was out of state and had no other options. They literally left me stranded for 3 days.

I would think the vehicles that do have engine issues that fall under this recall would have had some issues by now. For instance engine vibration, low oil level, oil consumption, flickering oil light or solid oil light, metal flakes on dipstick, cel, bad gas mileage, etc. If runs well now I would think it's fine.

Originally Posted By: Doublehaul
Ive little faith...just rented a 16 Sonata with 12000 miles on it and the engine popped. Only thing more disappointing was how Enterprise handled it. The picked up the POS with a wrecker but didn't have a replacement car for me. I was out of state and had no other options. They literally left me stranded for 3 days.

Ouch. I had a 2015 Sonata rental with the 2.4, it made some odd growling noises when cold and accelerating (not hard acceleration mind you). I checked the oil because I was worried it was low, thats how it sounded anyway.

OP, if I were you I would run it till the wheels fall off. These seem like solid cars save for the few (relatively speaking) that had the issue. Keep up with your maintenance and it should treat you well. One of my co workers bought a 2011 Sonata with the 2.4 with 90K+ miles on it a few months back and she loves it to death. She did get the paperwork about the engine issue stating to bring it in to the dealership for inspection, I don't think she ever did though.

Did you buy the car from Hyundai as a certified used vehicle and have the 10year 100,000 mile warranty ?
There are millions of those 2.4 engines on the road but they did have issues with some of them something about metal shavings if i recall. Some of Hyundais engines are not the quietest but they have pretty good engines and there are millions ofthem driving around every day.
Hyundai will fix the engine if their is a problem and if they don't that is breach of contract in most cases and they dont want that but you might depending on your state laws!

Thanks all for the responses. It seems like I am covered on the extended engine warranty for about another 4 years (Don't think we would near even 100k by that time so mileage isn't any worry). I'm going to roll with it and possibly replace the car before the warranty is up otherwise I will drive it to the ground!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back