Oil for '16 Fiesta ST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. Recently purchased a Fiesta ST. Factory fill has been dumped and I'm planning on what to use in the future. Ford recommends Motorcraft 5w-20 syn blend, but I will be using a synthetic. I am concerned about the 20 weight though since this is a direct injected turbo engine. Someone who works at the Fiesta plant in Spain said the cars there get 5w-30 as factory fill. I was thinking of using a 5w-30 that meets Honda HTO-06 since it's a spec for a turbo engine or 0w-40. Will 0w-40 be too heavy? Not that I don't want to use 5w-20, but I don't believe it is appropriate in this application. I'm more concerned with longevity than fuel economy. I plan on keeping this car for a while. Will be doing 5k ocis.

Last edited:
I'm concerned about longevity as well. As you can see I have 10 year old Duratech engines with fairly high miles doing 10K OCIs, using M1 0-20 AFE.

Originally Posted By: tig1
I'm concerned about longevity as well. As you can see I have 10 year old Duratech engines with fairly high miles doing 10K OCIs, using M1 0-20 AFE.

No offense but there is a big difference from the engines in your signature and a high strung turbocharged, cast aluminum direct inject 1.6.

I would use a nice quality full synth 5w30. PP or M1 comes to mind and i'd stretch to 7500 and test it after break in to see if you could go further.
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Yeah id run 0w20 or 5w20. Why run thicker oil if you dont have to? The climate in spain, is different from you as well.

Right. It's HOTTER in FL mean average temp then most of Spain yet he gets a THINNER oil. What's your logic in that? It's CAFE standards setting that, not common sense.

Originally Posted By: jayg
Originally Posted By: tig1

No offense but there is a big difference from the engines in your signature and a high strung turbocharged, cast aluminum direct inject 1.6.

I would use a nice quality full synth 5w30. PP or M1 comes to mind and i'd stretch to 7500 and test it after break in to see if you could go further.
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Yeah id run 0w20 or 5w20. Why run thicker oil if you dont have to? The climate in spain, is different from you as well.

Right. It's HOTTER in FL mean average temp then most of Spain yet he gets a THINNER oil. What's your logic in that? It's CAFE standards setting that, not common sense.

It does appear that DI is tech in reverse.

Ford use ACEA A5/B5 (and some Ford's spec with that) in Europe. Not sure if those are available in US. You may use A3/B4 5w30, in past Ford advised to use A3 oils if A5 are unobtainable.

The people who designed, engineered, built the car told me to use this, but I know better and I want to use this. Is that what you're saying?

Originally Posted By: bvance554
The people who designed, engineered, built the car told me to use this, but I know better and I want to use this. Is that what you're saying?

I think that's the gist of it

Also, this car was engineered in Germany, so I am actually curious to see what is recommended for the car there.

It is also heavily speculated by many here that if it were not for CAFE standards in the US, 20 weight oils probably would not have become so widely used. This is evidenced by the exact model being sold in other countries recommending heavier oils. So even if a heavier oil is recommended for the exact same car then, most likely it will do no harm.

Also, sarcasm really isn't conducive to answering my inquiry. If you have nothing of value to contribute, maybe you should find another thread where your reply actually adds to the discussion?

The people who design, engineer and build the cars spec wildly different oils for the same model depending on region its being sold.

What's your answer for that? The OP makes a valid question if the car with the same engine is specced for a different grade by the same engineers just because it's sold in a different market.

If engineers recommend I run 15w50 in the UAE but 5w30 in Death Valley, why is that when the climates are similar? What's the difference? The US has to make CAFE standards and UAE doesn't. What protects better? I'd reckon it would where the engineer is able to have free reign and not be limited by standards trying to eek out fractions of MPG from every single make and model.

Will 5w20 work? Sure. Is it the best for that engine with high temps ,high revs, and DI that can really trash oil pretty quickly? Well, that's the question and that's why we are talking about it.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
Hi. Recently purchased a Fiesta ST. Factory fill has been dumped and I'm planning on what to use in the future. Ford recommends Motorcraft 5w-20 syn blend, but I will be using a synthetic. I am concerned about the 20 weight though since this is a direct injected turbo engine. Someone who works at the Fiesta plant in Spain said the cars there get 5w-30 as factory fill. I was thinking of using a 5w-30 that meets Honda HTO-06 since it's a spec for a turbo engine or 0w-40. Will 0w-40 be too heavy? Not that I don't want to use 5w-20, but I don't believe it is appropriate in this application. I'm more concerned with longevity than fuel economy. I plan on keeping this car for a while. Will be doing 5k ocis.

If it's under warranty then read the terms and conditions, cos if it fails the dealer might get a UOA done to see if you used the correct oil.
In general terms there is not much wrong with using thin oils when an engine is new unless you live in a hot area and do heavy towing or race the car.
Once it is out of warranty I would move up a grade to a full synthetic 0w30. Using an 0w40 will increase the fuel consumption and decrease oil flow rates around the top end. Moving up one grade from OEM spec is not going to be a problem in engine wear terms, but moving up 2 grades might be.

Last edited:
You could use a 0W40 no problem. The DI engine will dilute that sh!t down to a low 30 weight in no time.
Trolling.gif

Has anyone seen a UOA where a DI engine didn't shear/fuel dilute the oil down? I'd try whatever oil they used. Some oils will resist fuel+turbo heat far better than others.

Last edited:
If you're going to drive it hard, the M1 5W-30 will be fine. I'd run the FF at least until the OLM before switching to full synthetic.

That big difference applies to the design of the engine as well. Do you think the engineers would have the same bearing/oiling system for a NA engine and a GTDI engine?

Originally Posted By: KL31
You could use a 0W40 no problem. The DI engine will dilute that sh!t down to a low 30 weight in no time.
Trolling.gif

Has anyone seen a UOA where a DI engine didn't shear/fuel dilute the oil down? I'd try whatever oil they used. Some oils will resist fuel+turbo heat far better than others.

The engineers would have seen this same behavior in testing. If 20wt shearing down was an issue they would have seen it in testing and spec'd a higher weight oil.

The people who design, engineer and build the cars spec wildly different oils for the same model depending on region its being sold.

What's your answer for that? The OP makes a valid question if the car with the same engine is specced for a different grade by the same engineers just because it's sold in a different market.

If engineers recommend I run 15w50 in the UAE but 5w30 in Death Valley, why is that when the climates are similar? What's the difference? The US has to make CAFE standards and UAE doesn't. What protects better? I'd reckon it would where the engineer is able to have free reign and not be limited by standards trying to eek out fractions of MPG from every single make and model.

Will 5w20 work? Sure. Is it the best for that engine with high temps ,high revs, and DI that can really trash oil pretty quickly? Well, that's the question and that's why we are talking about it.

There are many reasons to spec different oils for the same engine depending on the region. Engineering virtually never has free reign so a lot is based on marketing or supply considerations in different areas. You also have to factor in the varying quality of fuels, air, expected filtration, etc. I can almost guarantee the engine was trashed at high temps, high revs, and had the oil "trashed" during the testing phase. It is unlikely that we will see any conditions on the street that were not accounted for either in dyno testing or real-world driving.

REDLINE 20, OR USE YOUR FAV 20 AND "SUBSTITUTE" 1 OR 2 QTS OF 30. only SAVE INVOICE FOR THE 20
smile.gif

Just remember that most U.S. distributed "full synthetic" are only semi-syn at BEST.

I try motul x-max 5w30 in a turbo super high output engine.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Ford has used 20 weight oils for almost 20 years.

I think they know what they're doing

I don't know. I imagine everyone with a Modular that was spec'd for 20 grade switches it to 30 or 40 grade before considering towing. Especially in the summer.

And the Hondas and Toyotas that use 20 grade oil absolutely do not hold up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back