STP 5w20 and 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am running low on oil quarts, since the purchase of our 2007 (used) Prius last year.

Autozone has STP on sale for $3.99 per quart. Any opinions/results for Toyota engines on this?

I have never used their brand, and am considering stocking up.

GL

I wouldn't run anything other that a fully synth 0w20 in my Prius. Get the full 10k miles out of the change. The Atkinson cycle engine starting and stopping all the time really likes a full synth and honestly it's not that much more expensive. Just run the cheapest 0w20 you can find and an OEM filter and not think about it.

Use the STP for the older trucks that just don't care.

3.99 isn't a deal for that. Walmart is cheaper everyday on all convetionals. They have many synthetics in the 20-24$ range for 5qts. It's really a no brainier. Go get a jug of 0w20 qsud or something similar for around ~$21 a jug. That's just a little more than $4 a qt for an 8-10k mile oil.

Right now Home Depot has quarts of Forumula Shell on sale for $1.99/quart. I'd get that especially if you're not a fan of rebates.

In approximately one and a half months AZone will have its end of year clearance. I would wait a bit and stock up then.

I think it's 2.5 more months till the sale if it starts on 12/1. But still right around the corner. The car will still be on it's current oci by then.

Originally Posted By: jayg
I wouldn't run anything other that a fully synth 0w20 in my Prius.

The OP has a 2007 Prius. The factory recommended oil is 5W30. He also lives in Northern California, so it doesn't get cold enough to warrant a 0W oil. And as far as that goes, the Prius has such a large starter motor (MG2, which is 10's of KW in power) that a thicker cold oil isn't an issue.

Originally Posted By: Greg L
Not a fan of rebates. Been burned too often in the past....

I was starting to feel the same way until my Mobil 1 checks came in. Ended up spending around $2 dollars a quart when it was all said and done. Purchased the Mobil 1 on sale at Walmart for $22 a five quart jug, then received $12 dollars off per jug with the rebate...comes out to $2.00 a quart. I feel like I won the lottery...well not really.

Last edited:
I can understand that. I was wondering how well Mobil would honor their rebates when I started sending them in a couple of years ago. I started a couple of years ago, and I did both the spring and fall rebates Mobil 1 rebates, as well as the Delvac rebates, spring and fall. I have received each and every one, so, I have been happy. You get to use good oil at a great price.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kohnen
Originally Posted By: jayg
I wouldn't run anything other that a fully synth 0w20 in my Prius.

The OP has a 2007 Prius. The factory recommended oil is 5W30. He also lives in Northern California, so it doesn't get cold enough to warrant a 0W oil. And as far as that goes, the Prius has such a large starter motor (MG2, which is 10's of KW in power) that a thicker cold oil isn't an issue.

My mistake, I missed that he had an older one that speced Xw30. Still depending on the driving patterns, with so much stop and start on the gas motor, I'd prefer a synthetic and just go the full 10k miles for a OCI.

Thanks for the input; sounds like the STP for this engine is a waste of money. Down to my last 9 quarts of Castrol and Smittys, but I can wait another month for an OCI.

I will hold out until the AZ discounts happen in December. As I recall, I stocked up pretty good on it then.

They say Mobil is honest with rebates unlike some of the others.. We will see i have a few rebates out there when i get them i will let everyone know if i don't i will also let everyone know. Im confident i will receive them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back