Would you rotate tires at this point or wait......

Status
Not open for further replies.
I plan on getting new tires put on the Accord within the next year, probably Pirelli P7 Centuranos. Anyway I want to say I had the shop rotate my tires 5K miles ago when they did a flat repair but I just checked my maintenance records and it does not appear that they ever did, if thats the case Im not really sure when the tires were last rotated. It would be at least 10K ago (its been 10K miles since I purchased the car). My hang up is this, I am a bit paranoid of having anybody touch / work on my car. I have been in TOO many situations where the wheels or other parts have been damaged and I want to avoid this happening if possible. The car drives smooth and there is no visible unusual tire wear. Am I safe to wait until I put on new tires? (most likely in the next 5K miles) or should I go ahead and have them rotated? Off subject but I will have the brakes done too at the same time as the tires as I want as few opportunities for damage as possible!

If the fronts have considerably more tread than the rears, then maybe you can consider rotating them due to better water clearing in the rain. If not, fuggedaboutit.

The reason for rotating is to get even wear as the front/back and left/right have different wear patterns, which gives you longer tire life. If you're planning on replacing the tires in 5k miles then I'd say just skip the rotation. No point having extra hands touching your car at this point.

Originally Posted By: LotI
On a side note...relax

Lol. Its hard when you spend your hard earned money buying nice car, then you take it in for service and they scratch everything up! This was at a place where our family has gone for years and years and they wouldn't do anything about the damage. I wrote a yelp review and am finished with them. My car hasn't been anywhere else since. I am contemplating having all the tire/brake work done at the dealer. At least if anything happened I could go to corporate if needed.

You really need to find a good independent shop or do it yourself. If you are replacing them in 5k miles who cares about rotating them now? Besides the P7's being insanely quiet, mine wore out fast and wet traction was average at best. Id consider something else. The Cooper Zeon RS3-A's I just bought a month ago seem to provide better wet traction and even stickier in dry.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
You really need to find a good independent shop or do it yourself. If you are replacing them in 5k miles who cares about rotating them now? Besides the P7's being insanely quiet, mine wore out fast and wet traction was average at best. Id consider something else. The Cooper Zeon RS3-A's I just bought a month ago seem to provide better wet traction and even stickier in dry.

How fast is wearing out fast to you. I have 40 K on OEM michelins now. Id like to get at least 50K out of the next set.

I thought it was well-known Pirellis don't last long. They're more for performance and not worth it on a basic Accord.

Honda + Michelin is always a winning combo.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
I thought it was well-known Pirellis don't last long. They're more for performance and not worth it on a basic Accord.

Honda + Michelin is always a winning combo.

I want something quiet and smooth. The Michelins on mine are like rocks. Loud and harsh. Ive done research on tire rack and keep coming back to the Pirellis and Continental DWS.

Originally Posted By: gregk24

How fast is wearing out fast to you. I have 40 K on OEM michelins now. Id like to get at least 50K out of the next set.

50k kms down to 3/32..i just think there are better options out there as I wasnt impressed with much about them. Not saying they are terrible, they were ok. Just not good enough that I would consider them again.

Originally Posted By: gregk24

50k kms down to 3/32..i just think there are better options out there as I wasnt impressed with much about them. Not saying they are terrible, they were ok. Just not good enough that I would consider them again.

Understood. They have excellent reviews though. I am also looking at Continental Pure Contact 17". I can't believe how much tires installed are! I am pushing over $800 installed on many of these and thats not including brakes (going to have them replaced at same time).

The P7s are incredible, my all time favorite tire. I had them for 12k miles on my 2004 VW and they still looked like new. The 2013 Beetle TDI has around 14-15k miles on it's set of P7s and they look brand new too, I can't see any tread depth gone. They absolutely transformed both cars. The 2004 had Michelins that rode awful, it was literally like pillows going over speed bumps with the Pirellis. The 2013 had factory Hankooks on them that were trash tires. Night and day difference.

Now the Altimax RT43s on my Camry, eh. I've already had one replaced for being defective. Another is on its way, got a screw in it and they can't patch it.

Greg, you're a BITOGer. I know not everyone is super mechanically inclined, but one think I know you can do is brakes on that car. It really couldn't be simpler.

And rotate the tires yourself. Takes less than 30 minutes to do the entire car if you take your time.

New tires in 5k miles? If so I would skip the current rotation.

I have the new tires you mention, Pirelli, on a Vibe, very content with them.

I just rotate tires at home with a floor Jack. It takes a bit, but it's done how & when you like it.

If you plan on changing the tires in 5K miles I'd skip the rotation unless there is a visible difference in the wear from front to rear. I wouldn't even consider Michelin tires for anything I own.
27.gif
Been there done that.

Skip the rotation. P7's are great on the Accord; I have a set. I'm trending towards 60k miles on mine. Tire life is about your driving style, some people wear out tires faster.

Got 70k on Goodyear Assurance that came on my '13 Accord when it was bought new and they were only rotated ONCE early on. Fronts have a bit less tread than the rears but they are still good, all four wearing evenly. May put new ones on before winter and will stick with the same tire, making sure they are balanced on a Road Force machine.

And do not just have brake pads changed. I usually get more miles out of pads than 50k. You might be wasting hard earned money by changing them way early. You can inspect them quite easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back