Upgrade factory wheels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my malibu came with factory 16's with continential tires on it. I really like the look of the factory 17's. I had to buy like an $1,200 package to get the wheels when i bought the car and i opted out. I can get a set of factory 17's and a set of general rt43's for less than 1K. How much will this throw off my speedometer? Also the spare tire is a 17 but works on all the malibu's which range for 16-19' wheels.

https://twitter.com/thamechanic94/status/776230387160797185?s=09

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
What size tires are you going from/to?

Factory 215-60-16 to factory 225-55-17

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Your speedometer will not change much, if at all when you stick with a factory size.

Didn't think so because I'm going to a factory wheel with the factory size.

I would be surprised if there WASN'T a setting to change that in the ECU/BCM somewhere, probably only accessible with dealer tools.
I know it's there in my 09 Sable, I was poking around with Forscan, and at one place it gave me either a listing of sizes to choose from, or had fields for me to populate with a new size.( memory is a bit fuzzy, more than a month ago...)

and yes, i know yours is a GM product, and mine is a Ford, but mine is also 6 years older, so I would assume that it should be there in your much newer car...

Its actually about 1/2" bigger in dia. Reading will be a little over a MPH under actual.
And yeah, it might be able to be changed with dealer tools.

So A whole bunch of engineering that went into picking the tire size. changing tire sizes tweaks the input to the stability control. But i would confidently drive my family with the following changes.
As far as the soeedo is concerned its all about revolutions of the tire per mile.
A 215-60-16 turns 793 revs per mile in the rt43
A 225-55-17 turns 778 revs per mile.
About 2% difference pretty close not enough to get too worried about plus it is the stock size in 17"
Now a 215-55-17 in a rt43 turns 790 revs per mile.
A wash if you ask me
Plus the width is exactly the same 215mm
The aspect ratio is obviously different to accomidate the larger wheel.
So if i were doing the same thing i would look at purchase price. which tire is cheaper the 215 55 17
Or the 225-55-17

Originally Posted By: gabriel9766
So my malibu came with factory 16's with continential tires on it. I really like the look of the factory 17's. I had to buy like an $1,200 package to get the wheels when i bought the car and i opted out. I can get a set of factory 17's and a set of general rt43's for less than 1K. How much will this throw off my speedometer? Also the spare tire is a 17 but works on all the malibu's which range for 16-19' wheels.

https://twitter.com/thamechanic94/status/776230387160797185?s=09

Try Craigslist for rims.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back