BMW is now trying water injection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Water is inected at about a 10% volume to gasoline to prevent knock. You can add as much as 15% for a fuel economy gain of around 3-7%. The manufacturers looked into this in the 70's and decided the extra effort was not worth the gain. They said consumers would resist the idea of having to add water, and they worried about water/fuel distribtion in each cylinder. Believe it or not, I found a way to reliably mix water with gasoline and tried to sell the idea to the gas companies. They laughed so hard they couldn't pick themselves off the floor to throw me out of the room. They weren't going to sell water in the gas under any circumstance. I never found out what their objection was.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: MCompact
Originally Posted By: firemachine69
This must be a joke. They can barely build a car that crosses the warranty finish line...

Well, the E90 3er has 100k on it, the E36 has 144k, and the X3 has only 189k on it. I guess someone moved the line- in my neck of the woods, at any rate...

Many here draw strange and unfounded conclusions from the excess info available on the net. There are probably millions of happy BMW owners who enjoy their cars and do not post at all. But a few thousand have issues and light up the Net with their complaints.

IME many who buy a German car do not understand their need for preventative maintenance. They simply do not tolerate the typical person's ignorance of that requirement...

There could be quite a bit of truth to that.

Then again, BMW is the company that skipped dipsticks to save a few bucks...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: MCompact
This must be a joke. They can barely build a car that crosses the warranty finish line...

Well, the E90 3er has 100k on it, the E36 has 144k, and the X3 has only 189k on it. I guess someone moved the line- in my neck of the woods, at any rate...

Many here draw strange and unfounded conclusions from the excess info available on the net. There are probably millions of happy BMW owners who enjoy their cars and do not post at all. But a few thousand have issues and light up the Net with their complaints.

IME many who buy a German car do not understand their need for preventative maintenance. They simply do not tolerate the typical person's ignorance of that requirement...

There could be quite a bit of truth to that.

Then again, BMW is the company that skipped dipsticks to save a few bucks...

Save money? It's a more expensive system! Not to mention, they weren't the only ones to do the same...

I like being able to monitor the oil level of my 166,000 mile 335i (direct injection, two turbos, no dipstick) while on long drives. It's also nifty how it monitors the capacitance of the oil to determine its condition - although I change it long before it could detect an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back