Safety Seal Sticky Rope Tire Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
Self-vulcanizing sticky rope, by Safety Seal (North Shore Labratories Corp).

From this past weekend.

Before:

After:

I've used that Self-vulcanizing sticky rope before (not sure which brand).

It's always worked well for me. Once my tire was only 2 weeks old when I needed it (grumble !) but it lasted the whole tire life very well, no problems.

I think the issue here is its a motorcycle tire. Tires are cheap compared to dying/serious injury for a plug that didn't hold.

On a non performance car(not tracked/autocross) I'd use that anyday.

I have plugged many motorcycle tires and never had a problem. Never have seen a plug fail. People tell stories about plug failing but they are repeating a story they heard. Bike shops used to plug tires until they found that they make more money selling new tires.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
I've seen plugs in Motorcycle tires fail. In some cases with bad results.

Please share which brand. Safety Seal self-vulcanizers are permanent repairs according to North Shore Laboratories, as long as the maximum angle of the injury is within 0 - 25 degrees.

I would feel less confident if the injury had been in a tread valley where there is less rubber for the plug to vulcanize with. This injury lets the plug vulcanize into a lot of meat. Anything is possible though.

Safety Seal, Speedy Seal, and other brands that use the concept of rubber ropes stuck into the tire through the punctured hole, with the idea that they will create a knot of material against the inside of the casing, and won't pull out. This works better in car and truck tires that aren't subjected to the same forces as a Motorcycle tire that flexes far more as the bike leans from side-to-side.

To be fair, the failures I've seen were mostly young guys on Sportbikes riding fairly aggressively, who might have a more difficult time affording the steady diet of tires for their bike, so were more likely to plug a punctured tire and keep riding. A relatively slow Cruiser, or any bike ridden moderately, won't place as much stress on the tires as those subjected to high acceleration, cornering, and braking forces. Still I'd consider any of the rope plugs to be a very temporary get-me-home-riding-gently measure.

If someone really wants to plug a tire, I'd strongly suggest the combination plug/patch which is fitted from the inside of the casing, with the tire dismounted from the wheel.

Any plugged tire is considered compromised, (even the plug/patched tires) and no longer carries the same speed or load rating, according to tire company engineers I've talked to. Now of course they want to sell tires, so that position makes sense from that standpoint alone. But I had one explain it this way: Once you poke a hole through a tire casing, numerous belt fibers or wires are destroyed at the site of the injury. This can only weaken the tire. How much it's weakened can only be determined by dissecting the tire at the point of injury.

I've plugged/patched a lot of MC tires over the years. Never once have I seen a plug/patch done properly fail.

When I was working in motorcycle shops in the '90s and early 2000s. Most shops(especially dealers) wouldn't allow mechanics to plug/patch tires. Some were done by mechanics as side jobs, most often the tire was replaced. In the cases where the tire was replaced and the damaged tire was 75% or better, a few mechanics would take the tire home and either run it with a tube after patching the inside or plug & patch it. Mechanics riding on free tires were rarely nice to those tires. In many cases these were being run on 600+ pound built V-Twins putting down over 100Ft-lbs and sportbike riders looking for tires for practice laps on open track days.

Heard countless stories from mechanics and customers alike who knew someone who had a plugged or patched tire fail catastrophically causing all sorts of wrecks. Never actually had it come from anyone who had it happen to them.

as a temp repair i use the rope plugs.

but i try to break the tire down and repair it from the inside when able.

I've repaired motorcycle tires, plug patch combination seems to be the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back