Apple TV

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we have taken a dive into the Apple world as we got sick and tired of the windows world and the clunky functionality of Linux. As of this week, everything is Apple... As part of this refresh, we use Apple TV to wirelessly connect the MacBook Air to the TV because it lacks HDMI. The only other thing so far has been to watch Netflix on it.

From the looks of it, Apple TV can do much more than act as an HDMI cable. But what -- what can I do with it that doesn't require to buy apps or get a subscription to content?

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
So we have taken a dive into the Apple world as we got sick and tired of the windows world and the clunky functionality of Linux. As of this week, everything is Apple... As part of this refresh, we use Apple TV to wirelessly connect the MacBook Air to the TV because it lacks HDMI. The only other thing so far has been to watch Netflix on it.

From the looks of it, Apple TV can do much more than act as an HDMI cable. But what -- what can I do with it that doesn't require to buy apps or get a subscription to content?

Which ATV do you have? ATV3 or ATV4? The ATV4 is the most capable with some built-in apps and games as well as apps and games you can buy, but the ATV3 is (imo) more stable and a better platform for watching Netflix, Hulu, Youtube, and any videos you have on your computer.

As for as non-subscription content, that's pretty limited. You can pipe your computer screen to the TV and watch web videos, or you can use the Youtube app that comes on the ATV. I have the cheapest Netflix and Hulu subscriptions, and that's my main method of watching TV these days. If its something I really like (movies, some TV series) then I might buy it through iTunes, which you can then watch natively on the ATV or (if you download the files) from your computer.

it's a 64gig 4-th generation device.

Can you install the same apps on it as on iPad like Chrome browser, etc.?

Roku is better because they have unofficial channels. I have several on mine. Netflix runs out of content for me after a while. Roku wifi connected but HDMI to tv.
Amazon Firestick maybe next up for me,with Kodi installed.

Kind of an expensive switch just for Netflix. Might have been a good idea to research the items before buying.

Also, there's nothing wrong with Windows and, in my limited experience, Linux ran pretty smoothly.

Nope. An ipod/ipod without a screen is what I wish it was. For me to watch Charter Spectrum or AMCTV apps, I need to use my iphone and cast it to my TV via Apple TV. It constantly fails. Now the latest AMC app doesn't run on my 3 year old android tablet so pick you poison.

Since you are an Apple home, if you can view a video off the major apps (web/YouTube app/Hulu/etc) on your iPhone/iPad, you can watch it on Apple TV 4 via AirPlay. It even works off Amazon Prime Video and is the only non Amazon Fire device you can do that on. Yes, Roku and Smart TVs have Amazon apps, but I'm talking about using your iPad to choose the video, then commanding the ATV to play it. Not cast wireless from the device to ATV, play off ATV.

Got a picture or video you want to see on the TV? Play it and tap AirPlay off the bottom control center as well. Also with the new TVOS update based off iOS10. If you have a DirecTV/cable subscription if a channel in your subscription such as ESPN has an app, you no longer have to log into each app. There is now a centralized login.

If you have Android devices, I also recommend the Chromecast for completeness. I do not choose one over the other. You should be comaptible with all the major players. Why artificially limit yourself. All three OSs, Windows/iOS/Android have their usefulness.

I don't own an ATV4, but talking to a co-worker who does the apps are different than iPad/iPhone apps, but the process is similar. His gripe with the ATV4 has been that its just not as stable as an ATV3. The ATV2 was great, but the app-writers pretty much bricked it by adding content to their apps when the more capable ATV3 came out. The old deal where the new apps just need more memory and processor than the ATV2 had available. Netflix still worked well on mine, but Hulu was hopeless- it would freeze and reboot the whole ATV2 repeatedly.

Others mentioned Roku and I just spent a couple of weeks using one- its pretty comparable EXCEPT for no Apple "Airplay" screen-casting (from an iPhone, iPad, or computer), and no access to Apple-specific content. And the Roku user interface is not as slick, but the difference is not major. If I had no other apple products, then Roku would be my next choice.

Thank you, guys. I was hoping it ran on iOS and used the same app store as iPad/iPhone -- my hope was to run a few specific apps on it rather than Airplay it from the laptop as a mirrored screen. Fortunately I've bought the AirPort Extreme router so Airplay works well wirelessly for 1080p content off of the laptop.

Welcome to the Apple world - light years ahead of anything Windows - the stability of Linux without the quirks.

There is an app store for the AppleTV - most of the big names are there - Youtube, NBC, CBS, ABC, PBS and a bunch of others. Streaming music is there too. Casting is good but you can get a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter cheap $20 or so that will give your MacBook HDMI capabilities. If you have a 4k TV this is the way to go for the extra resolution.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
Thank you, guys. I was hoping it ran on iOS and used the same app store as iPad/iPhone -- my hope was to run a few specific apps on it rather than Airplay it from the laptop as a mirrored screen.

No, but quite a few apps are moving over from iPhone/iPad. I just wish the video app from the local library was native on the Apple TV rather than making us stream to it from an iPad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back