BMW Dealer put green coolant in my '08 5 series

Status
Not open for further replies.
While the car was still under the factory maintenance program, the BMW dealer flushed the coolant as part of their normal service. Now, probably 3 years and 30K later I see that it is green. The car came with Blue. I replaced the water pump and a few other things as PM and drained the coolant.

What are the odds that the dealer used an incompatible green vs. a green that is compatible with BMW blue. I'm curious because if it was not compatible, I need to really flush it before I refill with blue. Otherwise I was just going to refill with blue/distilled water.

There is no hint of blue in the coolant I drained.

Thanks!

Wow, cant believe that!

I have to wonder if it was either diluted wrong, or the dye degraded.

Why would BMW do that? For the dealer to cheat on the payment that corporate gives for that service?

If suspect its an all makes if they cheated... Like a dex cool.

If you changed everything, Id suspect that there was only minimal leftover old coolant and so at most, a few drain and refills a few thousand miles apart should be done...

I would ask the dealer to explain, in person if it's not a big issue to drive there.

As you probably already know color does not matter a whole lot. Maybe they used another bulk coolant that is identical to BMW.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I would ask the dealer to explain, in person if it's not a big issue to drive there.

As you probably already know color does not matter a whole lot. Maybe they used another bulk coolant that is identical to BMW.

Three years and 30k miles later, I doubt the SA is there, let alone the dealer has anything to say.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
And this is a problem because?

Blue is his favorite color.

Take it as a lesson learned not to wait 3 years before checking your coolant.

Yeah, the truth is, with the black coolant recovery tank, I could never see the coolant color. There is a floating level indicator that sticks up out of the top to show coolant level. Without taking coolant out of the system, you can't see the color even if you shine a light into the tank.

My concern is a dexcool/non dexcool type issue. I don't know off the top of my head what the BMW mixture is and it never occurred to me that the (BMW only) dealer would have put something in that is not BMW branded coolant. I also can't imagine that they would have flushed it that well, I figured it was more of a drain and fill - but there is no trace of blue. With the number of cars that they service, I would almost have to assume that they at least used a compatible coolant. I'll have to look at my old paperwork and see exactly what it says.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Three years and 30k miles later, I doubt the SA is there, let alone the dealer has anything to say.

The dealer would not remember a specific vehicle, but if they typically use a bulk coolant that is BMW compatible and is green the dealer would(should) know it.

BMW dealers are often dodgy. But the service waiting rooms are nice.

When I bought a new BMW it was back dozen times for the same rattle that wasn't fixed. The invoices listed parts (rear shock mount reinforcements, gas tank strap pads) that I found, years later, had never been installed. Mounting nuts still had intact marking paint, so the dealer hadn't even bother to check for the problem.

I eventually fixed the rattle myself.

There are plenty of stories of dealers not stocking "always replace" fasteners such as driveshaft and suspension nuts. My experience was trying to buy A/C o-rings in July in the Washington DC area. Everyone needs A/C there. Only one dealer had them in stock, and they were generic ones from a parts store assortment. I watched as the parts counter guy searched through the same bag I could have bought without driving there and paying full BMW price. It was clear that they rarely replace them, and use the cheapest parts when they had to.

I have since given up on insisting on dealer parts, and I active avoid dealer service.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
And this is a problem because?

Why would one want some garbage all makes coolant when they should have G48???

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

The dealer would not remember a specific vehicle, but if they typically use a bulk coolant that is BMW compatible and is green the dealer would(should) know it.

Youre assuming they would own up to it!

In Australia, Penrite make a BMW (and other European vehicles) coolant that is coloured green, rather than Blue. Not sure why... Their "Blue" coolant is a typical "Green" formulation. *Facepalm* In any case, you could've ended up with this in your car.

I'd just flush the stuff and be done with it. Use a coolant that meets the correct standards, just do some research and buy a coolant with the correct additives, or lacking certain additives.
Pentofrost NF (Blue) is a good coolant, albeit very pricey - their website, however, lists what additives are/are-not present, which means you can just find something a bit cheaper.

Best way to deal with a dealership is watching them like hawks. Family bought a Toyota Hilux in the latter part of the 1980s, and found it wasn't being greased correctly. So they put tape on the grease nipples, and checked as soon as the vehicle was "ready." This was pointed out to the Dealer, who claimed it was done, but eventually found it wasn't, thanks to the tape. Whilst this was rectified, it sorta shows that even then, you have to fight tooth and nail to get what you want...

Originally Posted By: silveravant
Hard to believe that a BMW dealer would even stock a non-approved coolant.

25 years ago it wasn't that uncommon, but today BMW is pretty strict about service departments using the proper chemicals and fluids.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
Hard to believe it took 3 years for you to notice the green coolant.

Not so hard when the cap is on a black plastic pressure tank and an otherwise sealed system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back