2010 Hyundai Tucson electrical problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, I wonder if I can get some help. The past few days I have been having some problems with the power locks. I'd get in and shut the door, but the door open light on the dash would stay on, as would the interior lights. This would be intermittent. I also could lock the doors with the fob, but the alarm horn would not beep. I pulled all four door shut switches and examined them, but nothing looked abnormal.I figured one of them was going bad, so I ordered new switches. (They are on the way.) Well, yesterday, I went to run some errands, and when I started the car, the locks TRIED to engage, and made this lock/unlock click for three series, then stopped. The locks would not engage when putting it in drive and leaving, as it usually does. I turned the interior lights to off, so as not to drain the battery. Now this morning, the car just clicks when I go to start it. All dash lights work, and I can hear the fuel pump engage. Doesn't quite sound like a dead battery click, but I could be wrong. I thought the problem was with one of those four door switches, but now, I'm not so sure. Any ideas, folks? I really don't want to have to tow this thing to the dealership. Thanks...

Was it just that the interior lights stayed on and ran the battery down? There may be something else drawing power when the door is open.

Try a jump start.

This is probably all from the driver's door switch.

Last edited:
Hyundai's are plagued with poor grounds. Find and clean to bare metal every ground lug you can get to. Ask me how I know!

As soon as my wife gets back from work with the truck, I'm going to go get my multi-meter out of the storage unit and see what it is reading. I'm pretty sure it is the original factory battery. The car has always started right up and has never given any indications of the battery getting close to dying. Would a low/dying battery cause the door lock problems described?

Sounds like the door jamb switch is on it's way out making the car think the door is open.

Not only do the dorr switches need to be good but they have to switch just before the door fully closes. My neighbor had a ranger that was killing batteries. A door swith was out of adjustment so it would not always sense the door was closed fully. Grounds is another good thing to check

I still think you're on the right track with the door switch. Even with the light turned off, there may be many other systems that are on due to a door being open, which caused the battery to drain.

Sounds like a switch problem. Also may check into the shifter switch.
Note: There was a Hyundai TSB for the "Stop Lamp Switch" which could booger the stop lights, cruise control, shifter (not going into part, something like that).
If the stop lamp switch hasn't been replaced under the TSB, perhaps get the stop lamp switch replaced, and oh! why are my power locks going haywire.

Well, I took the battery out to get checked, and it was bad. Only putting out 133 CCA's. Installed the new one and everything SEEMS to be working fine. I'll find out when the wife goes to work tomorrow am. The door switches are on the way, so I may as well replace them when they get here. Errtt, good call on the TSB...I have had to have that switch replaced, twice.

Originally Posted By: bigdawg74
Well, I took the battery out to get checked, and it was bad. Only putting out 133 CCA's. Installed the new one and everything SEEMS to be working fine. I'll find out when the wife goes to work tomorrow am. The door switches are on the way, so I may as well replace them when they get here. Errtt, good call on the TSB...I have had to have that switch replaced, twice.

thumbsup2.gif

I've had numerous weird electrical things like yours happen, and battery has become my first go-to check in those cases.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back