need help ASAP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wanted to inspect suspension. Lift ends up slipping and putting a huge dent into the oil pan. Small leak came from the seam. I tried tightening some screws some (great idea i know). Seam broke more but whats worse is the screw broke off. So now I had a decent leak, a dent, and a broken screw sitting in the hole. I drained the oil.

Im going to order a new oil pan ($60
cry.gif
) but what gasket sealant should i use or just a gasket? RTV sealant fine when i put the new one on?

but until that comes in, i need to seal up this leak. Its my moms car and she needs it for work tmrw. I have some black rtv, do you think i can seal up that whole area?

Lexus GS300

Thanks folks. I messed up i think by putting Ebrake before jacking it up. Which i feel should be done after jacking it up now.

Last edited:
Replace the pan before even starting the engine.

Get a new tube of black oil resistant RTV. Spend the $6 to ensure it is fresh and seals well.

Last edited:
What a mistake huh

Do you guys think I can remove the whole thing, try to hammer it straight. then rtv it back.
Still order the oil pan to replace later?

And what about the broken screw??

Last edited:
Easy out the screw. The heads gone so there is no tension on it. Drill the shank the smallest diameter you have in an easy out and you can always work your way up. You might be able to grab the part that is protruding from the top with small vice grips and turn it back out as well. Just don't ding it up. If its dinged up it'll be allot harder to remove with an easy out.

Like others have said DO NOT drive it like that. Replace the pan before you try to start the engine.

Is it a screw or a bolt?
I'd expect a bolt.
If you're a really lucky guy, and based upon what you've posted above I don't think you are, you might be able to drill the fastener and then get it out with an easy out.
There might also be enough of the fastener left for you to get it out with a pair of vice grips once you've removed the sump.
You might also be able to ignore this hole since the rest might provide enough clamping force to seal the oil pan to the bottom end.
You absolutely must replace this oil pan and you shouldn't risk driving the car until you do. A couple of days in the beater or a rental would be much cheaper than a yard engine R&R.
Count yourself lucky that you can get the pan out without lifting the engine or doing a lot of other disassembly, or can you?

Replace the pan and pickup tube before running that engine again. Even if the pickup looks okay replace it anyway, it may have a hairline crack you cant see.
As the bolt broke tightening it it wont be hard to remove, once the pan is off just center punch the bolt and use a small left hand drill bit, it should spin right out.
If it uses a gasket use the gasket and high tack or Indian head no RTV, if it uses RTV use the RTV the dealer sells for oil pans or Hondabond, its better than the Permatex stuff in this application.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mess with it. I'd drive my Mom to work or borrow a car or something.

I'd tow it to my mechanic or pay him to come to my home and do the repair. I don't think I'd try to remove the broken bolt.

Spray some PB Blaster on the stud before removing the nut. Replace the pan and oil pickup assembly. Look for any additional damage once you get the pan off.

Last edited:
Where was the jack that it was even near the oil pan.

I don't believe any sort of repair would be well advised. Replace the pan and inspect/replace the pickup, as required.

We have a large number of very conservative people here. I say fire that puppy up and go. The crank counterweights will knock the pan back out if it interferes which I seriously doubt.

On those Toyota pans use either genuine Toyota FIPG or Permatex Right Stuff, even better if you can get it is Permatex Import Grey Right stuff. I agree with the comments not to fire or drive it until the pan is replaced. A left hand drill bit and a center punch will likely spin the broken oil pan bolt out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back