Would you reuse oil jugs if it was an option?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am the parts manager at a heavy Equipment Dealer. We are kicking around the Idea of offering refills for customer's oil packaging. 1 gallon, 2.5 gallon, 5gallon, and 55 Gallon. We have bulk oil containment and disbursement equipment and a oil lab on site. I test the oil into and out of the tank. Its filtered both ways. So the question is if you could save say 10-15% on your oil prices would you re-use your containers? This would be mainly smaller customers as large companies generally have bulk oil on site from us or another supplier.

I reuse oil jug for used/wasted oil
smile.gif

Sure, I mean, it's not like I pour rocks into the containers when I empty it. I'd jump at 10% savings AND reusing resources.

yup. and i know your just feeling this out, but how much would a gallon of oil cost? would there be a further price break for the 2.5 and 5 gallon buckets?

oil users are pretty savvy these days with all the information available on oils and of course the sales, coupons and rebates.

seems like walmart super tech would likely also be your competitor in addition to the rebates and sales being offered on oil these days.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: car51
I do it all the time and usually I wash the jug out with DAWN soap before I re use the 5qt or 1 gallon jug

I hope you're kidding. Soap doesn't need to be in an engine. Their is no way you can wash out all the soap.

so it would only be heavy duty oils and hydraulic oils. I would also have decals to attach to container with all legal and product info. discounts would grow with size of container a 10% discount on a 55 gallon drum would be 80 bucks.

When I take my boot oil container back to the Red Wing store, they fill the container up for free. That tells me the equipment dealer you're working at is being greedy and not providing a good service for their customers. How cheap can you get ?

How much moly are you adding to that boot oil?
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
When I take my boot oil container back to the Red Wing store, they fill the container up for free. That tells me the equipment dealer you're working at is being greedy and not providing a good service for their customers. How cheap can you get ?

I'd be fine with it, but I always wonder what kind of crud they have sitting in those bulk barrels, but yours is filtered so I guess it's fine. Also just as long as nothing gets into the spout. etc.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I do it all the time and usually I wash the jug out with DAWN soap before I re use the 5qt or 1 gallon jug

I hope you're kidding. Soap doesn't need to be in an engine. Their is no way you can wash out all the soap.

Nah, I'm sure he means detergent rather than a bar of soap. Most oils already contain detergents, so a little extra won't do any real harm.

Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman

Nah, I'm sure he means detergent rather than a bar of soap. Most oils already contain detergents, so a little extra won't do any real harm.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Look into the legalities of refilling stuff, and also civil stuff like trademark infringement.

A blank canister that gets your label might be better than an old pennzoil jug that's now getting mobil.

I'd like to see a world where you can get bulk oil at a fuel pump at, say, a truck stop.

Well, there is already a small market for bulk oil dispensed into jugs provided by the buyer.
Whether this would be worth your time and trouble is another matter.
Since I get oil so cheaply after store deals and MIRs, I wouldn't be a potential customer, but the many who buy whatever's on the shelf at a decent price when the time comes for an oil change might be, as might many smaller shops as well as those that stock a number of different grades and specs of oil.
A good concept that could work.
I'd have no objections to having a jug refilled.
You might even expand the concept to include taking the drain oil from customers. You could heat your shop with this during the long, cold Midwestern winters.

Why wash them ?

I wish we could go back to bringing our own jugs to the distillery to buy bulk whiskey. I know this strays a bit off topic. I apologize for any perceived offense in advance. Since I am unable to place used oil jugs into my recycling bin I prefer using them to take used oil to the household hazardous waste disposal center. If there were a reputable place to get them refilled with new oil I would be open to the idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back