General Tires any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have experience with this brand? Opinions on quality? Considering getting 4 of the Grabber HST (255-70-18, for my 2012 Tundra, thanks for any experience/opinions.

The Grabber AT2 was my favorite all-terrain from all the tires I've run on my personal vehicles over the years. I can't speak to the HST, but their other passenger and truck tires I've used have been good.

My only experience is with the RT43s on my daughter's car...the OEM tires on her Impreza (Avid S33Bs) had terrible reviews and I knew that the ones that came on my Forester were just awful, so I bought her new tires a few days after my wife bought the car. I think she only has 5k miles on them, but they worked well in the winter (although she will be home from school on truly awful days...would have bought her snows otherwise) and we haven't had any unusual wear or problems with maintaining pressure. These tires had very good all around reviews and were a pretty good deal IMHO.
I considered the same model for my own car, but ended up going for something that I thought would be more fun in the summer and probably less capable in the winter (no biggie since I run snows)...Goodyear Sport AS.

I just bought some firestone destination le2 for the rogue, whichmay heave been a mistake. I was considering altimax rt 43 which appear to be the Highest performing tire for the money out there Ive seen.

Owned by Continental (German)

Michelin (France) owns BFGoodrich, Uniroyal and Kleber.

The RT43's I've had have been fine. But that means nadda for their other tires, as anyone can make a stinker.

I have a set of Michelin LTX MS2's on my Tundra, and they are a good 3 season tire I think. I have a bit of shoulder wear, and I think 255 may be too narrow for the tire height / side loading brought on by such a tall & heavy vehicle. But I get 20+ mpg on my truck, so...
21.gif
I have something like 8/32's tread left after 40k, so not too bad. I thought the tire was horrible in NH snow, and run iPikes on a winter set of rims. Massive, simply massive difference in the truck running those. Minor bump in noise, minor drop in mpg; but it'd go places in RWD that 4WD was required before.

Dunno about the tire you are looking at. tundratalk might have some info.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
The Grabber AT2 was my favorite all-terrain from all the tires I've run on my personal vehicles over the years. I can't speak to the HST, but their other passenger and truck tires I've used have been good.

As much as a fan of snow tires as I am, I have always been super impressed with those tires and I would run those if I had a Subaru/small CUV that took a compatible size year round.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I just bought some firestone destination le2 for the rogue, whichmay heave been a mistake. I was considering altimax rt 43 which appear to be the Highest performing tire for the money out there Ive seen.

Owned by Continental (German)

Michelin (France) owns BFGoodrich, Uniroyal and Kleber.

Why do you think its a mistake? I almost went with the LE2s before I decided on the RT43s and I have a 2012 Rogue.

The touring tires , General rt43 and Kumho solus have the best rating on a couple sites except for the Mich Defenders which are too pricey!
I Like my General Altimaxes

Last edited:
Eh, they're ok I guess. Not really impressed with my RT43s on my Camry. Have had 1 defective tire so far after over 20k miles. Discount Tire road force balanced them and that created a horrible vibration. They replaced 1 tire and that's fixed but I still have wandering issues and pulling issues. This is after a rotation, it was fine before the rotation. Pretty noisy too and sloppy handling

We have RT43 on my GFs AWD matrix and they are awesome. Dead silent, and killer in the snow for an all season. Worth every penny. Better than everything in their class.

Originally Posted By: MADMIKE
Anyone have experience with this brand? Opinions on quality?

Have you been living under a rock or something ? Everybody loves General Tires. I got a full set of RT43s on my car and I couldn't possibly be happier with them.

Originally Posted By: nwjones18
I have G-max's on my Cadillac and I love them..

And I have them on my 480 hp Camaro as well. It's a great alternative to summer tires when you go on a road trip or get into some dicey cold/wet weather.

A lot of people on here love them, but I'm not really a fan of General or their parent company Conti.

The older Altimax XP had a bubble after a year or so, and they can't hold air, and too-soon cracking. Almost the same experience with the ContiExtremeConact (on a different car)

No experience with HTS, but have run the Altimax HP's on a Civic to ~60k miles, with some tread left to spare, and satisfied. Running the RT43's currently on an Accord and they are comparable at this point to the Mich Primacy MXV4's they replaced. So, no complaints about General tires for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back