Butanol?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had this link about converting ethanol to butanol. Link

Quote:
"Butanol is much better than ethanol as an alternative to gasoline," said Jones, the C.F. Houghton Professor of Chemistry. "It yields more energy, is less volatile, and doesn't cause damage to engines."

I've heard of using butane to run vehicles (I think it was common around WWII due to fuel shortages), but butanol was new to me. Quick look for a wiki link shows... mostly stuff that goes over my head.

Anyhow, figured I'd post it.

If we could make ethanol cheaply from weeds then it might be reasonable to convert ethanol to butanol. But not growing corn to distill to ethanol.

Gasoline typically needs an oxidizer additive, and there should be one we can make from natural gas.

Originally Posted By: supton

Quote:
"Butanol is much better than ethanol as an alternative to gasoline," said Jones, the C.F. Houghton Professor of Chemistry. "It yields more energy, is less volatile, and doesn't cause damage to engines."

I've heard of using butane to run vehicles (I think it was common around WWII due to fuel shortages), but butanol was new to me. Quick look for a wiki link shows... mostly stuff that goes over my head.

They're talking about isobutanol. See my thread below.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2683701

Even less volatile, equal hard start in summer, no start in winter. IF B100, it has to have gasoline injection for start and big thermac to run efficiently.

Originally Posted By: Donald
If we could make ethanol cheaply from weeds then it might be reasonable to convert ethanol to butanol. But not growing corn to distill to ethanol.

Interesting. I assumed that everyone knew that cellulosic ethanol from corn stover is already being done. It's rather astounding that you folks on the coast are so far behind in your information.

I wish i could find a reasonably priced supply of Butanol.
Paying 20x's the price of gasoline is too expensive.

Butanol is the closest alky fuels will ever get to gasoline.

Existing ethanol plants can be converted to isobutanol, so no real loss of jobs at the plants, except possibly during the (supposedly) year-long conversion process. GEVO iswas involved in doing this? Seems like one plant was converted to isobutanol and then back to ethanol, too? It was about 2 yrs ago when I was researching this.

Isobutanol/bio-butanol/butanol is MUCH better for vintage vehicles rather than ethanol. It does not absorb water so it can be pipelined. Does not attach metallic fuel system parts.

At 16.5% concentrations, it matches or bests E15 for emissions performance. And THAT seems to be the "best of both worlds" as far as biofuels are concerned!

I recently came upon some information on the Alternative Fuels Data Center website (www.afdc.energy.gov) (Department of Energy).

Unfortunately, "ethanol" is legislatively-mandated in many states' statutes, as the stated additive to gasoline. Isobutanol has been an alternative to ethanol, approved by the EPA long ago, but it seems the ethanol operatives keep ethanol in the forefront of such things. www.ethanolretailer.com and www.ethanolproducer.com are two examples of that "push". Some interesting pro-ethanol perspectives, but then they are playing to current consumers for current-model vehicles rather than the vintage vehicle consumer.

Recent research revealed that the EPA has approved a "pathway" for an ethanol plant to use barley and wheat rather than corn. Where? MONTANA.

CBODY67

Sugar beets would be a good feed stock for ethanol/butanol production. Would be a great compliment to corn based ethanol production. And the Butanol thing would be the icing on the cake.

Originally Posted By: Donald

Gasoline typically needs an oxidizer additive, and there should be one we can make from natural gas.

Uh?

Originally Posted By: Pontual
Even less volatile, equal hard start in summer, no start in winter. IF B100, it has to have gasoline injection for start and big thermac to run efficiently.

Uh?

Originally Posted By: supton

Quote:

The Japanese made it in Taiwan during WW2 by anaerobic bacterial fermentation from sweet potatoes and molasses. It has a high octane number so it was used in aviation fuel, and of course the plants were heavily bombed.

They also used fuel made from tree roots, as did the first Honda's. Desperate stuff.

http://www.fischer-tropsch.org/Tom%20Ree...%20Encl%20C.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back