2016 Mazda CX5 2.0 7,898/12,971 mi. M1 AFE 0W20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my 2nd UOA on a Mazda CX-5 with SkyActiv-G 2.0 6MT. This OCI is almost 8K with under 13K on the vehicle. This drain consists of Mobil 1 0W20 AFE and apprx 200ml Liqui Moly MoS2. Also, note the factory fill is most likely Mazda Synthetic Oil with Moly. Nice to compare the two. Great oil that Mazda w/ Moly.

Driving style consists of a good mix of highway and traffic, hardly any short trips. I drive the CX-5 moderately hard (7/10) since its only "adequately" powered, I rev the heck out of the thing. Also good to know that I can stretch this oil to 10K.

Last edited:
Why add Moly when it's not the same Moly that M1 0-20AFE has? I would check with Mobil tech about this.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Why add Moly when it's not the same Moly that M1 0-20AFE has? I would check with Mobil tech about this.

Just a little experiment I am doing. I want to see if I can produce similar wear rates compared to another CX-5 using Mazda Synthetic Oil w/ Moly for a much lower price. I also wanted to see if Liqui Moly MoS2 actually works or not.

Btw, what kind of Moly does Liqui Moly use and what does Mobil use?

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Mazda recommends Castrol Edge. Any reason you're not running that?

I got a bunch of Pennzoil and Mobil 1 oil lying around from rebate purchases last year. They're usually cheaper. It's also just what I had on hand. Not sure why Mazda recommends specifically Castrol, but from what I've seen here at BITOG, they make decent oils. Nothing against them.

I feel comfortable using an oil brand not recommended by Mazda. Haven't found a compelling reason not to yet.

Seems like Mazda has solve the DI fuel dilution issue or the long trips have evaporated most of it. I've never seen a mazda skyactiv UOA with such a high flashpoint.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Mazda recommends Castrol Edge. Any reason you're not running that?

I'm pretty sure the Castrol recommendation is purely because Castrol paid Mazda to do so. Mazda doesn't even use Castrol for their factory fill!

Consistent silicon and wear, seems higher than for even a new engine. How is the seal on the air filter housing? Where would you suspect the silicon is coming from? I mean, there is siloxane Si (sealants, antifoam) and then there's abrasive Si with the iron and copper suggesting the latter. Oddly AFAIK, the bearings are all Aluminum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back