Toyota Tacoma 2nd Generation Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
First I should say I've happily owned many Toyotas over the years, including three Toyota pickups. But you have to drive a vehicle a while to get to know its shortcomings -- even a brand you like.

We've had a 2013 Tacoma 4x4 4.0 V6 for a year now, and while it's mostly been a good truck here are the problems I've noticed:

1. The V6 engine feels sluggish and slow to me. At least on my truck I have to step on it HARD to get any power or acceleration. I've driven 4Runners with this same 4.0 engine that felt very quick and strong by contrast.
2. Even by 2013, Toyota hadn't fixed the driveshaft shimmy that shows up upon acceleration. Eight years into the generation and they can't work that problem out.
3. The interior features a lot of hard, rattly, loose plastic. Even the hooks that brace the sun visors are floppy and loose and not mounted firmly into the inner roof.

Anyone else see these issues in their 2005-15 Tacomas?

i can't speak for the taco but I noted a couple of similarities with the tundra regarding rattles. The TRD is stiffly sprung - not a good choice for interstate driving, and the road ride augments vibrations in dash plastics and seat backs, in both front and back seats. I have gloves stuffed between the seats and the back panel to hold them still.

The only driveline vibes mine had were when the carrier bearing wore out.

The only gripes I've had are somewhat anemic brakes, and it's hard to keep getting 15-16 mpg when the newer trucks all do better. So I find myself just driving it when I need it, and favoring our 3rd car (s60) if nobody else using it.

Besides that, it runs like a swiss watch, never stumbles, does everything we ask it to, and is very sturdy where it needs to be.

Weird that it has slow tip-in--my two Toyota's have crazy tip-in, or at least it seemed to me, coming off a TDi. My Tundra has no rattles, but my Camry has the swaybar link rattle, and something in the dash rattles when the a/c is on.

I don't pay attention to Taco's but I'd be surprised if they didn't have water pump problems--seems Toyota has had Toyota-unlike water pump issues. I haven't had one, so maybe it's a ppm failure thing; but many (?) have complained online about water pumps for other models.

Last edited:
I have owned 3 Tacoma's in the last 14 years and loved every one of them. I currently am driving a 2012 double cab short bed back and forth to NYC. The Tacoma is rough around the edges, without a doubt but hands down the most reliable truck I have ever driven. With very little care they do run forever but I believe in proper maintenance. You can easily get 400K out of that motor and transmission even with the shakes and cheap plastic. The 2nd generation is archaic in design but highly proven, simple to maintain (DIY), and can take a beating like no other midsize truck on the market. As far as feeling slow...they are designed more for the torque than speed off the line. The Tacoma will out tow the 4Runner any day of the week.

Last edited:
I wish it was more designed for torque... After driving a Frontier and Tacoma back-to-back, both with V6 and basic 4x4 (no TRD or PRO-X packages), the Frontier is waaaay ahead as far as torque and towing capability goes!!! But Tacoma does take the prize when it comes to off-road. I guess depends on your priorities, but the Frontier is definitely the winner for me, despite the 1mpg loss. It definitely makes up for that loss in performance... Just my two cents.

Don't even worry about the driveline vibration. Seriously.

Is it unrefined? Yes. Is the engine out of date? Yes. Can it take a beating? For sure.

Drive it with confidence.

My 15 has been pretty good. Like most Tacoma owners have said is pretty much deal with it. Nosey injectors is about my only complaint. Bought some FP60 plus to see it it helps at all. MPG's are pretty good. It creeks in the rear. Leaf springs. Added sumo springs which helped some.

Newer 4.0 4Runner engines are dual VVT-i & the Tacoma 4.0 is only intake VVT-i. The 4 runner version has more power. Do you have the 2 or 3 leaf spring packs?

Originally Posted By: mehullica
Newer 4.0 4Runner engines are dual VVT-i & the Tacoma 4.0 is only intake VVT-i. The 4 runner version has more power. Do you have the 2 or 3 leaf spring packs?

I'm not sure. I'll have to take a look when I get home. I have to drive a more fuel efficient car to work due to the long commute. My Tacoma is a TRD Off Road if that might help answer the question.

I have a 2015 and can't say I have the same observations. However I previously owned an early 2000s F150 so the Tacoma feels like a Lexus in comparison.

The engine does fine for putting around town and when I merge onto the interstate I usually floor it and the engine just screams. The gripe I have though is the funky shift programming of the transmission. Around 40mph it feels like it can't decide on which gear to use and hunts up and down.

Havent experienced the driveshaft issue but I know it's there.

And the interior is pretty par for the course right? Nothing to write home about but at least the controls are placed well.

Most engines fall out of tune due to low octane fuel, carbon buildup and MAF getting dirty and lamda sensoe getting slow.

Try cleaning the maf, new air filter, and mix in some Sunoco 93 with your 87 Mobil. about 3.5 gal of premium in a full tank of regular wakes up my rogue - a little. I'm hearing a buzz in the exhaust, the cat may be disintegrating. Toyota usually like ND plugs. I that's waste sprk make sure you have a plug capable of negative firing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Reddy45
I have a 2015 and can't say I have the same observations. However I previously owned an early 2000s F150 so the Tacoma feels like a Lexus in comparison.

The engine does fine for putting around town and when I merge onto the interstate I usually floor it and the engine just screams. The gripe I have though is the funky shift programming of the transmission. Around 40mph it feels like it can't decide on which gear to use and hunts up and down.

And the interior is pretty par for the course right? Nothing to write home about but at least the controls are placed well.

Your choices are the tested Tacoma, or the new Colorado.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: firemachine69
Originally Posted By: Reddy45

Your choices are the tested Tacoma, or the new Colorado.
smile.gif

Although I am not a fan of GM, the Colorado is going in the right direction with the diesel option. They aren't bad looking trucks and are just the right size for most people who need a truck but don't use it for farm or work.

There are times when I ponder if I had bought a Tundra for its V8 and roomier interior, but owning a Tacoma feels like being part of a special club.

2013 4x4 Tacoma here also.

1. I have not experienced any sluggishness. Quite the contrary, it has borderline too much power for its intended use.
2. I have not experienced any driveshaft issue under acceleration. There was a leaf spring recall on earlier models that fixed a similar issue. Since you are saying it's a consistant issue, can you provide a link to this "driveshaft shimmy" issue that you and others seem to experience?
3. Both my sun visors are tight. Cabin is rattle-free. There is plastic on exposed surfaces as you might expect from a truck, I believe it's FRN (fiber reinforced nylon) to resist abrasion.

No issue here. I don't know what's wrong with your truck.

Originally Posted By: DrRoughneck
2013 4x4 Tacoma here also.

1. I have not experienced any sluggishness. Quite the contrary, it has borderline too much power for its intended use.
2. I have not experienced any driveshaft issue under acceleration. There was a leaf spring recall on earlier models that fixed a similar issue. Since you are saying it's a consistant issue, can you provide a link to this "driveshaft shimmy" issue that you and others seem to experience?
3. Both my sun visors are tight. Cabin is rattle-free. There is plastic on exposed surfaces as you might expect from a truck, I believe it's FRN (fiber reinforced nylon) to resist abrasion.

No issue here. I don't know what's wrong with your truck.

Google tacomaworld.com driveline and you'll get the phone book. The shimmy is felt most 1st to 2nd on the AT under moderate acceleration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back