Oxidized Paint

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Cessna lives outside and the paint is getting oxidized. Any suggests on how to polish it? If you put Nufinish on it or anything it all goes white. The paint was never clear coated.

Well you will likely have to buff off the oxidized paint. You could try something like an all in one. In that case I would try Meguiars 151.

If the paint is badly oxidized and "dead" there's no bringing it back, been there done that.

Years ago we waxed the FBO planes with Gary's Royal Satin. It would remove a fair amount of oxidized paint and when used regularly kept the paint shiny and smooth. Made bug removal from leading edges a lot easier.

You could try to acid wash it. id do a small test patch first. Then maybe a polish then seal then wax. Might be a good question for a plane forum. I wish I had a plane! Must be very fun.

Not sure that an acid wash would be a good idea on an alloy structure.
Remember, the skin of most planes isn't like the outer body panels of a car.
In something like this Cessna, it's a part of the primary structure.
Any acid would inevitably work its way into the rivet holes and continue to do damage until it neutralized itself.

It was painted 15 years ago. It hasn't always been outside. Just the last three years. I tried turtle wax rubbing and polishing compound. No luck. I think it needs a sealant of some sorts then wax.

That is a good looking plane and the paint looks like it's needs some love for sure. Single stage paint can be a PITA to work with and doing that job without a machine polisher, forget about it. I've done planes that look much worse than that, but I also have a Flex 3401, Rupes 21 & 15, 3 Griots ROP polishers, a couple of rotaries and about 100 different buffing pads. I wouldn't even attempt that job without some sort of machine to cut through the dead paint.

I have been told by owners of planes that the first thing to know about ownership is that the plane NEVER EVER sits outside because of how many things that can go wrong by sitting in the weather. The paint isn't what id be worried about. If you can afford a plane, you can afford to shelter it. Your life may depend on it.

Nice bank angle.
I see a lot of red buffing pads in your future from the oxidized paint. Without seeing it in person it's hard to tell how bad it is, but hopefully you have enough paint film thickness to bring it back without going through. I suspect you'll have to use a rotary buffer and some compound, but I'd start with the least aggressive method required to get acceptable to you results. The only right way to do it is to get the dead oxidized paint off of it. Then you'll have to keep it polished and waxed to prevent it from happening again.
Just about anything can be brought back with investment in time, proper equipment, materials, and paint film thickness, even if you have to color sand it.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
If the paint is badly oxidized and "dead" there's no bringing it back, been there done that.

It really depends if paint is soft or hard. My wife's ancient Punto always come out great from faded red, it just doesn't last long. Maybe two months if she doesn't wash it much. I always use Sonax or Turtle Wax.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back