2006 Odyssey, 6.3k OCI, Napa Select, unknown oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I just picked up a 2006 Odyssey with 136k. Changed oil/filter and 4x drain and fill for the tranny on the first day. Trans fluid looked like Texas Tea. Now it seems to run pretty well, shifts nice and smooth. I don't know what oil it had in it, probably something very cheap, and non-synthetic. I replaced with a PureOne 14610 and Pennzoil Platinum (non-PurePlus). I'm not super thrilled about the wear metals, although they are not that far out of line from universal averages. One thing I was surprised about was that it has a K&N, which hasn't been cleaned in probably 25k (or more) and the numbers for silicon especially are pretty low I think. I guess I'm spoiled from my Fusion where the highest wear metal is around 7-8 ppm. Oh well, it's a start.

What model of Odyssey is this? If it's an EXL or Touring then it has VCM which kills the engine and would explain the high wear rates, there are ways to disable it.

It is an EX-L, and yes, I've found comments about the wear rates. I put in a can of LM MOS2 with the oil change. Is there any way other than VCMuzzler that you know to disable without getting a CEL? Thanks.

OK now for something everybody has on this site... OPINIONS!

I'm coming up on 4k miles on pre-PurePlus Pennzoil Platinum (all those P's! I'm pooped! :)) and I'm thinking about dumping it and changing just to try to keep the cleaning going. The other reason is since it's starting to get cold, and I have no garage or lift... and don't feel like laying in the snow whenever it comes at ~7k.

I know the short change won't hurt anything, and I am only out about $12 for more P-PPPP (see above) since I bought 20 quarts for $2.49 each. But, given the typical wear rates on the J35A7s, I don't want to just run it through til around March since I am averaging around 2200-2400 miles per month. That would be around a 14k OCI, which is double what these engines are usually good for. If it was PU and I had an Amsoil filter, maaybe. But it's just a Purolator PureOne 14610 (more P's again!!).

Thoughts?

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
Well, I just picked up a 2006 Odyssey with 136k. Changed oil/filter and 4x drain and fill for the tranny on the first day. Trans fluid looked like Texas Tea. Now it seems to run pretty well, shifts nice and smooth. I don't know what oil it had in it, probably something very cheap, and non-synthetic. I replaced with a PureOne 14610 and Pennzoil Platinum (non-PurePlus). I'm not super thrilled about the wear metals, although they are not that far out of line from universal averages. One thing I was surprised about was that it has a K&N, which hasn't been cleaned in probably 25k (or more) and the numbers for silicon especially are pretty low I think. I guess I'm spoiled from my Fusion where the highest wear metal is around 7-8 ppm. Oh well, it's a start.

That's because you're not supposed to clean K&N filters in a factory box except for every 50k miles. People over clean and over oil them and ruin MAF's all the time when if they would just stop messing with them, they wouldn't have any issues. Vacuum out the airbox and reinstall the filter. Clean and re-oil LIGHTLY every 50k.

http://www.knfilters.com/cleaning.htm

I've had the VCM Muzzler for a year in freezing to 100 degree. No issue. Wish I had done it sooner

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back