2013 Mazda CX5 2.0 5000/30000 mi. Mazda Moly 0W20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you have a strong smell of gas on the dipstick, mine had a strong smell
and i mentioned it to Blackstone and they double checked it.
Report came back ok.

photo Blackstone Report.jpg

I did not notice a gas smell. My daily commute is 30 miles round trip by highway...so I'm not sure why the fuel dilution is high.

Nice report, but just curious, why a short run like that?

Not that I haven't made short run in the pas, because it was practical for me
smile.gif

This engine is a DI engine and was run all winter with
short trips, plus the dipstick smelled strong with gas.
I was concerned and this report put me at ease.

I smell the dipstick oil, in a paper or tissues, only with engine cold. It make a huge difference betwenn running temp and cold, about smell. If you smell gas when cold, then it is cause of concern.

Why not taste it? Seems just about as accurate.

Fuel dilution is often discussed here. Can anyone show direct evidence that it really harms anything? Or is this just the usual OCD over the top BITOG stuff?

Originally Posted By: gner
This engine is a DI engine and was run all winter with
short trips, plus the dipstick smelled strong with gas.
I was concerned and this report put me at ease.

There is a lot more fuel than that report suggests. 370F flashpoint after only 2.5k miles?!? Virgin motor oil flashes at 430F minimum.

Here is another CX5 report with 390F after 8K miles: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...,97#Post4197416

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Fuel dilution is often discussed here. Can anyone show direct evidence that it really harms anything? Or is this just the usual OCD over the top BITOG stuff?
33.gif
33.gif

I should have tasted it
21.gif

From my days as a development engineer we had limits for film thickness based on the design of the bearing system. You could then calculate a level of fuel dilution that would bring the oil to the film thickness limit. Keep in mind that we limited ourselves to a thickness that would allow adequate protection at full load and peak cylinder pressures.

So can fuel dilution harm an engine? Yes. At what point does it become an issue in this car or any other vehicle? It depends. I caught a lot of flak for the fuel dilution in my sample a few weeks ago but I don't consider it worrisome without an accompanying increase in wear metals.

Originally Posted By: 09_GXP

From my days as a development engineer we had limits for film thickness based on the design of the bearing system. You could then calculate a level of fuel dilution that would bring the oil to the film thickness limit. Keep in mind that we limited ourselves to a thickness that would allow adequate protection at full load and peak cylinder pressures.

So can fuel dilution harm an engine? Yes. At what point does it become an issue in this car or any other vehicle? It depends. I caught a lot of flak for the fuel dilution in my sample a few weeks ago but I don't consider it worrisome without an accompanying increase in wear metals.

Thank you for the detailed explanation. I realize it may do harm at some elevated level but despite all the h00 hah on here no one has shown specific damage from it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back