2005 Chevy Uplander headlight restoration....

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my mothers vehicle, I have been telling her I would clean up the headlights for some time now. Every now and then I would polish them by hand or dual action with some compound but the old yellowed and failing clear coat was always left behind, the most that would do is add a little shine. I got some 1500 grit sand paper and wet sanded them both, this was time consuming and tiring but worth the effort. The idea is to sand all the factory clear coat off leaving behind a clean plastic surface to work with. Once the headlights were wet sanded I used Meguairs Ultimate Compound followed by Meguiars Ultimate Polish, with a couple of rubbing alcohol wipe downs in between. I then sprayed UV resistant clear coat on which left the headlights very hazy and rough feeling, I could have polished down the rough texture but they were so hazy! I ended up sanding it off then re-polishing/compounding. I ended up topping the headlights with Meguiars Gold Class liquid which is a mix of carnauba / synthetic "waxes". Yes, I know that won't last long at all from a protection standpoint, so I will keep the lights touched up until I can get something more permanent on them. Anyway, here are some pics...huge transformation! They aren't perfect, but they are much much improved.

What I began with...

After wet sanding with 1500 grit. This leaves the lights smooth to the touch but very hazy...

After compound then polish with dual action...

Then applied the wax...

Before and after. Wow, what a difference!

Keep in mind, if you skip the wet sanding and go straight to the compound/polish step you will only marginally shine up the yellow and hazy clear coat. They will only look slightly better and will quickly become yellow and oxidized again. You MUST sand away the "dead" clear coat then polish to bring them back to clarity.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
Got the same issue with my Equinox. Legit same. I might do it your way when I have the time to do it right.

It is worth it! Not too expensive either. I have plans to do a Honda Civic tomorrow.

Quote:
I then sprayed UV resistant clear coat on which left the headlights very hazy and rough feeling,
Any idea why this happened?

Looks like a job well done! Especially considering it was done by hand.

The Phillips Headlight restoration kit for around $20 on Amazon seems like one of the best. Includes the sandpaper etc plus the most important part, some wipe on clear coat for durability.

Trav has an excellent write up on the topic:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...ts_#Post3913466

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vikas
Quote:
I then sprayed UV resistant clear coat on which left the headlights very hazy and rough feeling,

A few ideas the cc wasn't meant for plastic, not shaking bottle first, holding the can too close to the surface.

Looks great.

Now ya gotta pop out the turn signals (or are those fog lights?) and do those. They should be easy-ish to pop out

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Quote:

A few ideas the cc wasn't meant for plastic, not shaking bottle first, holding the can too close to the surface.

Unfortunately no...it is meant for plastic, it wash shook for 2 minutes per instructions, and held at the appropriate distance. I think their definition of "clear" is just not the same as mine. Sure it's clear in the fact that you can see through it, its just not crystal. Admittedly I was an inexpensive clear, I just wanted something more durable than a wax or wipe on product, this wan't it! One day I will buy a higher grade spray clear.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Looks great.

Now ya gotta pop out the turn signals (or are those fog lights?) and do those. They should be easy-ish to pop out

I will probably pass on popping them out. I'll just have to do it all by hand.

Quote:

Best guess is that it was an inexpensive product probably not designed for crystal clear results...like headlights lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back