High beam headlight relay kit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to install this kit from LMC Truck on my son's 1998 Silverado. The instructions say to tap into the light green wire and the tan wire in the headlight loom to make the necessary connections -- but there are 2 light green and 2 tan wires. Anyone used this kit before or have any ideas which of the wires to use? Thanks fellas.

Is that a 9005/9006 headlight setup? Where are you tapping into the harness?

When I built my relay harness (9007 bulbs) I used 9007 sockets so I could just plug one of the original headlight sockets into the harness, the harness than plugs into each headlight bulb as well as grounding to the closest ground to the battery and of course a fused power wires to positive terminal.

I suspect your wiring harness must run the left and right side wires adjacent to each other to some point without combining them into one wire. If this IS the case, it won't matter which you use. But please, check a wiring schematic first!

So it looks like where ever splices S120 and S121 are is where your harness goes from LH/RH wires to a single wire. I would say tap into either tan wire and either light green wire.

If you can identify which side (LH or RH) you are tapping into- or if its before the splice- then that may make reversion to stock wiring easier in the future.

When I tapped the high and low beams for the relay trigger, I only removed some insulation from the Low and high beam wires, opened up the 16awg!!? stranding, inserted my relay trigger wire through, and wrapped it around several times, then soldered it and covered it with Liquid electrical tape, and once that dried, then self fusing silicone tape.

I can unplug my new harness and plug in the original H4 plugs after removing the waterproofing, if a relay fails and I do not have a back up on hand, and again let my bulbs feed on 11.3 volts instead of 14+ they now get.

Originally Posted By: DP78
Here's the schematic for it. I hope this helps. What is this harness for?

The harness allows all 4 headlights to remain on when high beams are activated instead of shutting off the low beams when hi's are activated.

At highway speeds, the low beams staying on with the high beams will reduce ability to see things near/ at the limit of the high beam.

But foreground light is feel good lighting while your pupils contract and let in less light.

Look at all the people who drive around with their fog lights on in good weather, unaware they are impairing their eyes ability to see at the edge of the low beam.

Not an issue at 25MPH or slower in actual foggy weather, but a hindrance at any speed faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back