Foam using Delvac in XSR900 w/pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: AMC
Originally Posted By: donnyj08

The BelRay I have in there now has a tiny layer of foam if you check it immediately after shutting it off. It is about 1/4 of what I saw with Delvac. I also have had 0 false neutrals since I put in a MA2 rated oil. I was getting false nuetrals on quick downshifts with Delvac.

I have some 10w40 Shell advance on hand next. After I run through that I'll give Rotella a try and see how it does.

The manual says to wait a few minutes after shutting off before checking the oil. By then it is always free of foam.

Interesting. Maybe the XSR engine is a little more picky about its oil selection. Perhaps too picky to bother using an HDEO? Rotella T3 15w-40 has no moly and a slightly weaker additive pack than delvac or delo. I wonder if that would solve the problems you had with delvac.

I'm not sure. I was hoping Delvac would have been perfect because the price is great. But shift feel wise the BelRay is much much better especially on downshifting.

I'm not sure. I was hoping Delvac would have been perfect because the price is great. But shift feel wise the BelRay is much much better especially on downshifting.

The bike certainly up shifts way smoother than down shifts - usually that's the case with most motorcycles using a constant mess transmission. I've been blipping the throttle more on down shift to rev-match, which helps a lot.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

The bike certainly up shifts way smoother than down shifts - usually that's the case with most motorcycles using a constant mess transmission. I've been blipping the throttle more on down shift to rev-match, which helps a lot.

Mine is smooth both ways now. The problem I was having with Delvac was the shifter basically disappearing and I would have to let out of the clutch to try to get it to "find" a gear.

Mine is smooth both ways now. The problem I was having with Delvac was the shifter basically disappearing and I would have to let out of the clutch to try to get it to "find" a gear.

That is a very strange complaint for a Yamaha. KTM and many of the European bikes have that problem, regardless of the oil you use. If oil choice really makes that big of a difference in the transmission, some more experimentation is probably in order.

Here is the Jaso-Ma approved oils list: http://jalos.or.jp/onfile/pdf/4T_EV_LIST.pdf

That is a very strange complaint for a Yamaha. KTM and many of the European bikes have that problem, regardless of the oil you use. If oil choice really makes that big of a difference in the transmission, some more experimentation is probably in order.

Here is the Jaso-Ma approved oils list: http://jalos.or.jp/onfile/pdf/4T_EV_LIST.pdf

Thank you! I thought it odd as well. My previous Yamaha was clunky as can be but i never had a disappearing gear no matter what oil was used.

Interesting that Suzuki 10w40 racing MC oil is made by Sopus

Last edited:
Donny- FWIW, I guess I am sorry for recommending Delvac to you. I have never had any problems with Delvac or any HDEO in a motorcycle. In my experience, motorcycle specific oils seem to give the most clunky shifting, loudest valve train noise and don't seem worth the extra price. Maybe it is just the specific motorcycles I have owned or worked on in the past.... Either way, sorry it didn't work out for you.

Donny- FWIW, I guess I am sorry for recommending Delvac to you. I have never had any problems with Delvac or any HDEO in a motorcycle. In my experience, motorcycle specific oils seem to give the most clunky shifting, loudest valve train noise and don't seem worth the extra price. Maybe it is just the specific motorcycles I have owned or worked on in the past.... Either way, sorry it didn't work out for you.

No need to be sorry! It wasn't a bad choice! Engine ran well and overall it shifted well. A very smooth oil. I just had several issues with disappearing gears on downshifts. I haven't yet with BelRay, but I'm only 800mi into this run. So far so good. I'm not scared of Delvac and I will likely give it another go in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back