Replacing 15 inch wheels with 14

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently replaced a seventh gen civic with another one. The old was a VP model with 14 inch wheels. I have a set of snows on 14 steelies from the old car. The new one is an EX trim which comes with 15 wheels with the same bolt pattern. Is there any reason to expect any problems with using the 14 inch wheels and snows on the EX. Overall diameter will be nearly identical.

Do it. I slapped 15 incher snows on my HHR which shares parts with the Cobalt but no HHR ever left the factory with 15s. By some miracle they cheaped out on the brake size and 15s clear. They soak up potholes great!

It's about clearing the brakes and overall rolling diameter ... If the 15's are teh same height, just more sidewall, you're good to go.

I prefer a little more rubber and air than metal. They ride better
smile.gif

The rolling diameter is nearly identical, should only be about 1 mph off on the speedo. I guess I will just have to see on the brakes. I don't think the different trim lines used different brakes.

Did a little searching, which I guess I should have done first, and it looks like a number of people have done this for snows on this model, because the 14 inch wheels and tires are a little bit cheaper. It can't be much difference, I wouldn't think, but since I already have the 14's I want to go ahead and use them. Looks like it should be just fine.

The other advantage of the 14s for snow tires is you can get them skinnier than 15'' tires but not lose any diameter.

If I could fit 14s on the focus I'd get a nice skinny set of skinny 14 snows for it.

Originally Posted By: Kira
You're just a test fit away from knowledge and a post away from being an instructor.

We love each other here. Kira

Very true. As I now know it's been done successfully by several people on this exact model car, I'm pretty confident it will work. As we're still at least six weeks (I hope) and probably more from any wintry weather, I won't be an instructor just yet. My back and other joints protest a trial and the switch back and switch back again. I was hoping to learn, and think I have, that it will work and I won't be scrambling for wheels and tires at the last minute. I was about 80% sure it would work, now I'm 99%, good enough for me. Of course before long 14 inch tires will be impossible to buy anyway. I should get two more winters out of my Nitto SN-2 snows, a real bargain on a very impressive performer, then I'll be shopping for replacements.

I am in the process of looking at doing the same for my RX, to see how small of a rim I can cram on there for a winter tire set. I like rubber over metal too, hard to go from 33x12.5r15 to 225/255x40r18 @ 45/50psi.

This is just me, but tire selection in 14" is so poor these days that I'd stick with a 15". Despite the nice ride that 14s give, I've considered going to a 15 on one of my cars just for the better tire selection.

Originally Posted By: bunnspecial
This is just me, but tire selection in 14" is so poor these days that I'd stick with a 15". Despite the nice ride that 14s give, I've considered going to a 15 on one of my cars just for the better tire selection.

This is true. In my case though I already have a set of 14's that I really like that should be good for two more winters. 2 years from now, it might be a different picture, as the oversized rims craze crowds out the 14s and probably the 15s too.

Originally Posted By: dlayman

This is true. In my case though I already have a set of 14's that I really like that should be good for two more winters. 2 years from now, it might be a different picture, as the oversized rims craze crowds out the 14s and probably the 15s too.

Yokohama still makes 13" ig52c winter tires, so I think you'll be good with 14" until the car dies.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

Yokohama still makes 13" ig52c winter tires, so I think you'll be good with 14" until the car dies.

Wow, that's a surprise. The last car I owned that took 13" was a 1992 Toyota Tercel. By about 1995, the pickings were getting slim in its size, 145/80/13.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

Wow, that's a surprise. The last car I owned that took 13" was a 1992 Toyota Tercel. By about 1995, the pickings were getting slim in its size, 145/80/13.

Wow, I didn't know 145/80R13's existed? Must've been very good in the snow. I had 155/80R13's on a 92 Sentra and then on a 95 Neon, and they were excellent in the snow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back