Washer: Would you repair or replace?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Maytag washer I purchased in Jan, 2007 is leaking from the tub. Upon inspection, it needs a new stem seal. A parts kit plus shipping cost about $50. The belts could use replacing and thats another $16. I bought the washer when I was single and lived alone. My wife has complained how small the capacity is and a new energy efficient top loader will pay for itself due to how much we pay for water. I can see why she complains about its capacity. Our water bill averages costing more per month than electric and gas.

Given the water cost, I would replace.

I'm one to fix things and keep them going, but not when it costs more than replacing. We've got a front loader LG and it's great. In addition to the water and energy efficiency, they are easier on your clothes, so you save $$ in that way as well.

Besides, what are you willing to pay for her happiness? That has some value as well...

Last edited:
Drill a well and take big long baths, have a hot-tub, do what you want
smile.gif

You say you will replace with a new top loader, so you will not be saving much water ...

Front loaders are OK if they are up off the floor enough so you don't have to bend down to lift out the wet clothes tangle. Never met a front loader that did not make one big ball of wet clothes ...

The repair bill for that one is way less than a new machine ...

Last edited:
The saying goes... happy wife happy life ... Frankly never seen a happy wife so don't know how factual or even if it's possible!

I don't have that unit but I've managed to get 19 years and counting out of my stackable unit by replacing a motor and water pump. Each part failed a few years apart DIY for both parts totaled under $150. It beat the close to $1,200 to replace the unit. If I had to pay someone to install the parts it might have been a different story.

You need to look into Speed Queen. If you got some $$ go for SQ FL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg7Ji-c6oUw

A quick tip, if you are spending that much on water, you should be reusing the wash water, you simply drain the wash water into a large bucket and pour or pump back in to the next load wash cycle.

Last edited:
Repair the older unit. If you decide to replace, avoid HE machines at all cost. We've had a front loader and now currently have a top loader HE. It does not get clothes clean unless you put it on deep water wash mode. Kinda negates the efficiency part IMO. The electronics are terrible on our model (Maytag "Commercial Technology") and will often spaz out and need a reset. I'm waiting for someone to get rid of their 70's or 80's machine so I can throw away this $600 brick...

Originally Posted By: Eric Smith
The saying goes... happy wife happy life ... Frankly never seen a happy wife so don't know how factual or even if it's possible!

funny,but, generally speaking, it's true.
get a front loader for her. or, she will nag and [censored] at you forever -- or until you snap, and go on a shooting spree.

after it's replaced, she'll find something else to [censored] about. that's just what they do. and, it creates drama, at the same time.

let the wifey pick out the machine. if it doesn't work to her satisfaction, or something breaks in 11 years, it will be your fault.
best case scenario would be to fix the washer, and get a new woman.but, that would be too costly. should have stayed single, man.
seriously, get a front loader, and call it a day.

Ace Hardware can order Ohio made washboards and they have galvanized tub, makes a great gift!

Take the wife out and let her pick out whatever washer she wants. Life is short.

Originally Posted By: Bud
Take the wife out and let her pick out whatever washer she wants. Life is short.

+1

At all costs avoid any high efficiency machine!!!! All of them are total JUNK! Now having said that, as mentioned above, Speed Queen is the only way to go. As I type this I'm waiting for my LG Wave Force attempt to clean clothes. It predicted it would take 1 hour and 30 minutes to produce way less than stellar results, not even mediocre actually. In order to get any semblance of clean I have to use heavy duty cycle which fills the tub fully. Because there's no agitator, it takes more water to fill that big space and with no agitator the clothes just sit there. All that water requires way more soap than is imaginable just to get lousy results. I have lowered my standards on whites as they all come out dingy. And believe me, my wife uses lots and lots of name brand detergents etc. Anybody who has an HE machine will see my kitchen towels and know that I still have my LG. And that's sad.
Speed Queens don't have the largest capacity but that may be why they do so well. As far as doing large things like comforters, quilts etc. one may have to do them one at a time @ 35 minutes a load OR you could do several items in your large capacity HE washer and wait 2 days for it all to get done - plus millions of gallons of water and too much detergent!
I'm exaggerating of course but you get my drift. I'm selling a few unused items around here to fund a Speed Queen account as they are upwards of a grand...

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
..... a new energy efficient top loader will pay for itself due to how much we pay for water....Our water bill averages costing more per month than electric and gas.

Really? Just curious why your water is so expensive? How much do you use/month?

Time for a new one.

My wife and I splurged on (at the time) large-capacity front-loading HE machines and pedestals about 6 years ago. We really like how clean they get the clothes, how they don't beat up on the clothing, and how little detergent they go through. Even bulky bedding can be done at home. The dryer doesn't need dryer sheets to leave clothes mainly static-free. We did have one $400 repair to the washer caused by a very chilly and humid basement the first place we had those machines. That issue hasn't repeated itself since moving the machines to warmer and less humid living places.

Check Consumer Reports for how reliable various brands are. Then see what's on sale, and have fun taking the wife shopping!

Originally Posted By: Marco620
Front loader and they use hardly any water.

Plus they don't clean as well as a top loader.

Buy a Speed Queen..you won't ever look back.

Then again it will outlive most marriages.

Originally Posted By: double vanos
At all costs avoid any high efficiency machine!!!! All of them are total JUNK! Now having said that, as mentioned above, Speed Queen is the only way to go.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
You need to look into Speed Queen.

Last edited:
I do not believe they sell agitator washers any longer. The new top loader ones use jets of water to push clothes around. The new washers do less damage to clothes and with faster spin get more water out and thus dry faster.

With Consumer Reports in hand let wife pick out washer. Be aware she might want matched pair.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back