Sea foam for my car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The "93" sold in my state has the same 10% as all the other gas. O2 sensors can be out of spec without triggering a code and the manifold sensors in particular seem to go about 100K. The after cat sensors seem to last longer, but they don't control the AF ratio.

Last edited:
Just keep it topped off with fresh gas. If it doesn't go away after a few tanks, start checking for a plug wire short - or moisture in the plug well.

Originally Posted By: Kira
When was the last time you changed your fuel filter? (always my thing to ask)

Its probably integrated with the pump and not serviceable.

should be perfectly fine. it is an older formulation but in terms of what you're looking to fix I would use either seafoam of Berryman. Either should work perfectly.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
The "93" sold in my state has the same 10% as all the other gas. O2 sensors can be out of spec without triggering a code and the manifold sensors in particular seem to go about 100K. The after cat sensors seem to last longer, but they don't control the AF ratio.

+1

If you suspect water in the tank... either get a bottle or two of HEET in the yellow bottle (gas dryer, methanol) OR siphon off as much fuel as possible and refill with some E10 stuff if you have it around your parts. That's all I run (E10): cars, motorcycles, OPE, etc..

Second, Seafoam won't hurt anything (light oil and naphtha mostly).

Third, 93 octane is overkill for a civic... won't hurt anything other than your wallet. I'd prefer going to a gas station with a lot of traffic (fuel is fresher) and filling up with 87 octane. Most people are cheap as well, so you know 87 is consumed WAY more than 89, 91, or 93.

Won't hurt. Mix it with about 12 gals. of fuel and run it to empty. I use it in my 2013 Cruze ever 10K that I run purely 89 in - seven bottles so far and it runs lovely.

It sounds like you have a fuel pump/filter issue.

The red/iso stuff is filthy. I don't quite know how well it burns in a motor, but I used it in my titanium alcohol stove and the soot the red isopropyl HEET produced took 15+ uses to burn off with denatured alcohol.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NavyVet88
The thing is I can tell that there is a slight stutter or hesitation in the motor at about 50-60mph and it's not constant. About every couple of minutes and going up hills I can feel that stutter or hesitation. It is just enough that I can feel it and not bad enough that it shakes the car or anything. I just put new oem plugs in It Less than 10k miles ago and they are rated for 105k miles.

Seems like maybe a clue... Did the problem start after the new plugs? Sounds like there might be an intermittent miss, which could be due to a bad wire, or a wire not fully pushed onto the plug, or somethings else related to the plugs.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Just keep it topped off with fresh gas. If it doesn't go away after a few tanks, start checking for a plug wire short - or moisture in the plug well.

Well two tanks of 87 octane later and no issues!

https://www.goldeagle.com/product/sta-bil-fuel-stabilizer

I'm a fan of the above. I like MMO,and tried some of the off the shelf fuel stabilizers, but stabil was the only one that stopped my old van from sputtering from bad gas/possible water contamination. I did not refill the tank with new gas. The stabil stopped the sputtering before I got 5 miles down the road. The problem never returned and it has been over 5 years now....we never really know in these situations if it was water without taking a water/fuel sample from the tank and that is almost impossible without a drain plug in the bottom of your fuel tank....But our stories in here sell a lot of gas cleaners and they are a fun read....imho

Originally Posted By: Marco620
Nothing

Difficult to can nothing!

Seafoam is a good intake cleaner although some might say so is a water mist spray.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back