Focus rust

Status
Not open for further replies.
Darn got to it too late. Although there wasn't much I could do on the drivers side. Had at least 2 pounds of dirt crammed in there. Soaked that entire side in oil and just going to hit the exposed edges with Rusteolum etching primer and red for now. Would like to get it fixed right but being a 15 year econo box and even with sentimental value not sure how much how to put into it. Would like another 10 years.. all the one's I seen up north are rotted out already.

That rocker had 2 small drain holes and on the passenger side there are plugs with no open holes, not sure why they made the sides different. The passenger side seemed solid, hit it with a grinder and didn't go through. Not perfect but it'll work.

C2C0B422-6CBF-407F-BADF-F6ED2D07D26F_zpsbrgb0hmp.jpg

The red came later..
6A7BB175-A4CD-4349-8E90-D7E4F09003AA_zpsi3a5cvuv.jpg

Pop_Rivet some "tin" over that hole to keep water out. I'd open the hole up to a workable rectangle, pinch the existing metal back slightly, smear some seam sealer/ RTV on the gap, and stick fresh metal on top. Lazy me starts with self-tapping screws but they can be backed out and replaced with rivets that look smoother. If you really want to go all out, keep this repair "deeper" than the stock lines so you can smear bondo on top. But IMO bondo soaks up water and won't help-- just looks better.

And I wouldn't trust the pinch welds to hold a jack stand if I were under there-- though you look like you're in a little deeper on the frame rails.

at least it wasnt your engine cradle (lower front support) rusting out and failing like the 04 focus i had just bought (Aug 16) for my girlfriend (without looking it over first,she just needed a car) within one week Both Lower control arms pulled out of their supports and collapsed both front wheels while driving. so lucky she wasnt killed. Im just preplexed here. And yes the girl Dumped me for doing this to her.

Originally Posted By: ShotGun429
at least it wasnt your engine cradle (lower front support) rusting out and failing like the 04 focus i had just bought (Aug 16) for my girlfriend (without looking it over first,she just needed a car) within one week Both Lower control arms pulled out of their supports and collapsed both front wheels while driving. so lucky she wasnt killed. Im just preplexed here. And yes the girl Dumped me for doing this to her.

Yikes, dude.

The outsides of fords, never seem to rust, but everything important underneath...rust city.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Pop_Rivet some "tin" over that hole to keep water out. I'd open the hole up to a workable rectangle, pinch the existing metal back slightly, smear some seam sealer/ RTV on the gap, and stick fresh metal on top. Lazy me starts with self-tapping screws but they can be backed out and replaced with rivets that look smoother. If you really want to go all out, keep this repair "deeper" than the stock lines so you can smear bondo on top. But IMO bondo soaks up water and won't help-- just looks better.

Holes are natures way of improving access and drainage. The repair described above might well speed up the rot. I'd leave it open, but if you HAVE to do it it'd probably be easier to put your patch inside.

I don't do cosmetic repairs, but accidentally "discovered" that compressed crumpled aluminium foil wetted with sunflower oil makes quite an effective hole filler. It can be contoured and burnished, and probably sanded, though I havn't tried that, and it wont form a rust promotion poultice like polyester filler would.

And I wouldn't trust the pinch welds to hold a jack stand if I were under there-- though you look like you're in a little deeper on the frame rails.

That's all I used to do. Pop_Rivet tin in, get a can of rubberized undercoating and spray the heck out of it.

Not to hijack the thread but I have a question.

What is there to do on a NEW CAR to prevent rust? ...and don't say move to the dessert.

We're thinking of buying a 2016 Mazda3i Touring and would like to stave off the evil oxide. Kira

Originally Posted By: dishdude

That's all I used to do. Pop_Rivet tin in, get a can of rubberized undercoating and spray the heck out of it.

That is what I might eventually do.. just not sure. I'd really like to get a welder and experiment. After I finish my bachelors I'd like to take a welding class. But as Ducked mentioned it might be worse. I'll just tell everyone Kansas took a bite out of it!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JamesBond
Originally Posted By: ShotGun429

Yikes, dude.

The outsides of fords, never seem to rust, but everything important underneath...rust city.

First I've heard of any Focus doing that. Saturns yeah.. Sound's like it was submerged in salt or water too long.

Originally Posted By: Kira

What is there to do on a NEW CAR to prevent rust? ...and don't say move to the dessert.

We're thinking of buying a 2016 Mazda3i Touring and would like to stave off the evil oxide. Kira

A cheap oil squirter and the oil from a change. Pop out a few plugs and spray away. That's the cheap way undercoating with Fluid Film is another.

Krown.

Originally Posted By: ford46guy
Once ford rockers rust internally it is just a matter of time. At least it don't have foam filling like my T-bird.

The problem with the Ford rockers IS the foam filling. My signature will answer any questions in regards to how I know. Pay attention to the 2003.

Do a "site:bobistheoilguy.com oil coating" or "undercoating" search in google. A number of threads should show up.

I am a cheapskate and do fluid film, but if new it may be worth springing extra money on a better product. paying even more to have a shop do it, and to drill the holes that you cannot bring yourself to do, may be even better.

Originally Posted By: Eric Smith

A cheap oil squirter and the oil from a change. Pop out a few plugs and spray away. That's the cheap way undercoating with Fluid Film is another.

I'm cheaper than anyone I know, especially in a car context, but I wouldn't put used oil on MY (1986) car, probably the worst looking car in the whole of Taiwan.

You'd really do that to a 2016 model?

More to the point, you'd really do that to yourself??

Last edited:

Oil spray. Either something commercial like fluid film or Krown, or just waste oil. I spray everything with waste oil and it seems to be working!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back