More obvious cracking, though I dont think cords are visible:

tirecracks%202.jpg

The worst tire:

tirecracks%203.jpg

Number four:

tirecracks%204.jpg

One of the tires has minor side cracking:

tirecracks%20side.jpg

Money is "desperately short" right now for at least a couple months, plus there's still tread life left so i'd rather drive it for a bit if I can, preferably all through winter. Or maybe okay for limping thru town but not trusted for highway travel of a few hundred miles?

I would slightly over inflate to minimize "flex" and run them till they leak air. Be mindful about it and both hands on the wheel at all times.

Last edited:
Wait, what?

You live in Minnesota and you want to try to run these scrap tires through the Winter?

I would get new tires on sale starting around October usually for Winter tires.

If you don't want to treat yourself to new tires, at least treat people around you that you are driving a vehicle that can stop safely and not injure other people on the public roadways.

Are those goodyear Vivas from walmart?

They might have a manufacturer warranty that covers this.

Though you should buy four spanky new ones (like from a DTD sale!!!) I'm actually impressed at the repeatability of manufacturing in that you got all these cracks yet none have let go. This gives me optimism, actually, that they'll last through Thanksgiving.

I've run tires that look like this. In fact I ran them on a 850 mile road trip.

You already know that these tires look pretty dodgy.
You should absolutely not use them for a highway trip.
For local low speed use, while they're iffy, you could probably chance it and will likely be okay for a while although not very long.
Ensure that the spare is fully inflated and that you have a jack and lug wrench in the car, since you may well need these. A bottle jack and four way in the trunk would be a good idea given the fifty/fifty chance that you'll need to do a roadside change.
With luck, you can make it to the Black Friday tire sales.
Should you make it that far, you should rely upon luck no further and buy a set of tires.
You should also check for closeouts meanwhile, since you can sometimes get these dirt cheap.
How old are these tires and who made them?

Go for used. You might even find some on craigslist. What size are they? [censored], if money is that short I would post a pay it forward or karma type of post asking if anybody in your area has a set of used tires.

He said money is a problem and im sure he would love to buy new tires if he had the money. In the meantime use the vehicle for under 35 MPH driving and you will be fine on dry pavement, even if you get a blowout at that speed it should not be a big deal.

And he doesn't. So used is an option.
And in many states those tires are a ticket and surely a danger.
Glad he isn't in NY.

They look like trash bin tyres!

If you visit a scrap dealer, Fleabay or even go through your local tyre shop trash bins it should be possible to find better tyres. Just make sure they have no cracks anywhere, learn to read tyre codes to check the age and try to avoid tyres that have puncture repairs (OK on the rear wheels).
If possible stick to major brand used tyres (Conti, Dunlop, Goodyear and Michellin), as they perform better in stopping distance terms and are less likely to suffer from premature crazing due to age.

Really?
Anyone in the tire biz can tell you that Michelin tires are very susceptible to sidewall cracking.

around town - sure. highway? risky. the risk (other than the obvious) is that water can get through the cracks and rust the metal belts. once they have rusted they can snap and cause some mayhem. I had it happen to me on tires that looked alot better than that. it was one of the worst days of my life.... blowout on a major highway in a construction zone with no shoulder - pulling a 6000 lb boat.. 90 degree day. required a tow truck and two IDOT trucks to close down the highway briefly to get my boat off the highway....

what's the date code on the tires?

I'd run them on a ranch truck or just to town and back. Keep close eye on them. You're goinna come out one morning and one will be flatter than the square earth society. So better have spares handy ...

I've had Michelin's and Goodyear's do that in the last while. Had two Michelin's separate on two different vehicles, and a bunch with ozone cracking. They don't age well at all
frown.gif

No more of either for me. Toyo or Kenda from now on
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back