Changing fuel filter question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im gonna change the fuel filter on my 1994 infiniti j30 and im wondering do i have remove the fuel pump fuse before starting? Can i just release the pressure from opening the gas cap or would that not be enough and cause alot of fuel to come out the lines?

Last edited:
The fuel in the fuel tank is before the pump and is not pressurized. Also, pulling the pump fuse won't release the pressure in the lines and rail, it only prevents the pump from running under any circumstance.

You need to depressurize the lines and supply rail, and yes there can be some fuel that spills. However it is usually a lot less than what will spill when you disconnect the filter.

I pull the fuse or unplug the pump while it's running, then let it stall, then try to restart, then open the cap. Wear safety glasses, have a rag around the connection, have a means of fire suppression, etc.

"How much" depends on what you're used to.

I found pulling the fuse works just fine. Identify which fuse it is first.

Drive it up ramps or jack it up and put it on stands. Then start the car and pull the fuse.

You'll be smart to roll up your sleeves so fuel doesn't soak them.

"Push button" connectors? Banjo bolts? If it's the push button style I smear a THIN coat of silicone grease onto the nipple of the new filter before installation.

There's a chance you may need a line separation tool. It's a set of thin split sleeves which hug the fuel line and get inserted into the connector to release its grip.

They're real cheap to buy. Ford Explorers require them. I don't know about your car.

Banjo bolts require the two wrenches; one for the bolt the other for the body of the filter. Position them close and use the "squeeze method". Easy.

There's usually a retainer bolt to loosen and a strap to remove. There may be a plastic shield held on by a ip tie as well.

Repalce the fuse. Start the engine and check for leaks.

Do like the fire extinguisher being handy for this chore-BRILLIANT IDEA.

When I did mine I just vented at the fuel rail connection and removed the fuse. Got around a half a pint of gas out of the line once disconnected. I suppose had I run it first, I'd have gotten a bit less. It was all easier than I thought. The hard part being dealing with the spring clamps.

kira is right. however if you're working on the pump often you'll find the electronic connector there on the pump anyway. so if you disconnect the connector from the pump it will have no power and then you can run the pressure out and no need to fuss with fuses.

if you can pull the line expect about a cup of fuel to leak out so have something to catch it in.

be careful if you use a regular plastic cup as fuel may eat through plastic so at least set it outside.

I've never done anything special before changing the filter except place a pan underneath to capture the fuel. I've never encountered problems with pressurized fuel. Most of the spillage was from the filter emptying itself.

Probably not more than a cup will spill total, but that's a dangerous amount of fuel around any ignition source. However if you don't depressurize the fuel in the line some gas won't just leak out, it will spray. In your face, your exhaust, starter, battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back